Pool 2. Is that a wrap?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone get out over the weekend. Ive been up deer hunting. Usually enjoy getting out a few more times after hunting season but doesnt seem to be looking good this year. Earliest Ive seen the landing froze in is the Monday before Thanksgiving. Wondering if we are even going to make that this year.

Any reports from over the weekend?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I was out Friday and Sunday. Caught (for me) quite a few fish both days. Nothing huge but 25-26 inch fish on Pool 2 pull pretty hard. Most of the activity was right around sunset, right on top of the wingdams. Did take a few off the rip-rap too. Couldn’t hit a few of my favorite spots (Mike you know what I mean) because of the barges parked on top of them. Water temp was 40.3 Sunday night, down almost two degrees from Friday. Talked to a couple of guys who come up here every year from Kansas City just to fish Pool 2.

Hope we get another couple of shots at it, it was getting to be a lot of fun.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Boy I hope not. I’m not a Pool 2 fisherman(should try it!), but do like fishing the Minnesota this time of year and it’s not looking good to keep that one open either.

Hoping the weathermen are wrong and we rebound the temps next week. Kinda doubt it will happen though. If so, this will the be the shortest fall bite that I’ve ever seen on the MN. Sucks.

Ice fishing is hugely popular nowadays, but I’d rather be in the boat any day. Pray for wind and some more 40’s!!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Hope not, Mike! Looks cold through Thanksgiving. Hope we get an extended warm up during Dec to average thing out!

-J.

flanders51

I was thinking the same thing for Pool 4. What a bummer. I got one good day with the right weather and right water temps. I think I was out 5-10 times last year when the bite was right. Oh well, it looks like I need to go back to my winter hobbies.

matt

Went Sunday late morning till 9p.m slow during the day.tried a couple different areas, got a few saugers 8-9ft jig/minnow.Half hour or so before sunset just like clock work walleyes bit and continued to do so until I left.A few fish trolling cranks but most hit a jig/minnow,4ft-7ft being the best depth.They definately liked a jig with some glow best,tried ones without glow had bites but not near as many.Id like to go again and I just might (boat is never really put away for winter).This is the first fall I spent more then a day or two down there,not likely to happen again.Taught myself a few things and caught some fish I wont forget while doing it,gotta love it

Attachments:
    1. 20141109_175813.jpg

2. 20141109_185909.jpg

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I was out twice over the weekend. Slow for sure, but I’m still very new to P2. Sat night from about 3:30 to 8, didn’t really turn on for us after sunset. Caught one nice walleye about 20″. Sunday morning from about 7:30 until 1. Lots of white bass, nice ones too, and one healthy sauger. All on jigs and moxi, had to have a bright colored tail to produce. Orange and chartruese for me.

Thinking about taking off Friday to fish p2 or p4. Looks like the best day of the weekend weather wise. Open seat if anyone is interested. Not a ton of experience, but I love to try hard.

Attachments:
    1. p2-wally-11-8-14.jpg

2. p2-saug-11-9-14.jpg

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I was out Sunday evening and averaged about one per hour. They ranged from 18-25″. If I caught any on a spot it seemed like I got them right away or right after a change from plastics to stick baits. In hindsight I probably should have been on the move more and parked in a spot less. Nice night to be on the water… hopefully we’ll get some more evenings above freezing to be out there.

Boone

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great to hear the reports. Think it was 3 years ago we had a little cold front come through early and was thinking that was the end of the season. Ended up out in the boats for a good part of the winter. One can only hope for something like that. Heading to Everts is not a bad option. Standing on ice will do to pass the time also.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

I sure hope not. I spent both Saturday and Sunday nights out there. There was virtually no wind, both great nights to be out. For me, it was the best fishing I had in four years out there. Tried a different approach – fished my traditional spots, but with a handful of boats out, I decided to hit other dams I generally fish only in the summer/late summer and found a lot of fish away from anybody else. We had a 30 and 47 nights (3 guys) with some of my biggest of the year pulled in. I was thinking that is was just starting to get hot. I have not put the boat away yet, I have changed up some of my rods with P-line, got my LittleBuddy heater in the boat and will be hitting the water again as soon as we can get closer to 30 degrees…although the forecast does look grim.

Attachments:
    1. FullSizeRender1.jpg

2. FullSizeRender3.jpg

3. FullSizeRender5.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Great fish Procor!! woot

Look at those temps drop off a cliff. Pretty short span this fall for the magic of below 50° to freeze up.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2014-11-12-19-56-29.png

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Ish! Those are some plummeting temps. Wonder how that will change fishing if it does indeed warm up at the end of next week…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.