Pickled Green Beans

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

That’s 16 pounds of beans in 20 jars! Lots of work but it’s satisfying to hear those seals “pop” while I’m cleaning up the kitchen. Spicy ones up front have a serrano and some sweet peppers, the others are your standard dill/garlic with 2x both.

Anyone else canning and pickling now?

Joel

Attachments:
    1. 20140901_143030.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Watermelon pickles got finished this morning Joel. The dills are long ago done. The spaghetti sauce is finito for the year. We’re set here at home.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I canned our spicy garlic / dill green beans a couple weeks ago and am canning my hot/sweet pepper relish today.

* boats in the shop otherwise I’d be fishing and not canning

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Can I get your recipe on the beans? I have more than I can handle right now.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

5 gallons of beans and cauliflower
    10 Gallons of dill pickles

Attachments:
    1. image5.jpg

2. image4.jpg

3. image3.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My bean pickles will be done about Oct 4. Grand opening at the pool 2 get together pot luck.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

YA Joel, I’m too busy to cann but my friend is picking beets. My next door neighbor gave me a recipe for pickled beets that tastes like candy, they are very very good. Going to give my other friend a call and relay the beet recipe. Alot of good jars of taste are going to be opened in the the next few months.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Saturday I baked a bunch of goodies and my husband canned a dozen jars of pickles! Can’t wait to eat them.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20140831_123730_884.jpg

2. IMG_20140830_181312_721.jpg

lhprop1
    Eagan

So far this year, I’ve canned about a dozen quarts of beets and 14 or 15 quarts of beans. I was cutting weight for a contest last month, so I was eating over a quart of fresh beans every day for about 3 weeks straight so I could have had a lot more. My second crop of beans will be ready to pick any day now, so I’m expecting at least 20-25 quarts from that.

I spent a large part of yesterday freezing 36 quarts of corn. 144 ears–Uff da!

The tomaters are ready. I just need to find a night to make spaghetti sauce and salsa. I’m hoping to get between 40 and 50 quarts between the two again this year.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I did 15 quarts of sweet corn this weekend, now need to find and get some tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

So far this year, I’ve canned about a dozen quarts of beets and 14 or 15 quarts of beans. I was cutting weight for a contest last month, so I was eating over a quart of fresh beans every day for about 3 weeks straight so I could have had a lot more. My second crop of beans will be ready to pick any day now, so I’m expecting at least 20-25 quarts from that.

I spent a large part of yesterday freezing 36 quarts of corn. 144 ears–Uff da!

The tomaters are ready. I just need to find a night to make spaghetti sauce and salsa. I’m hoping to get between 40 and 50 quarts between the two again this year.

That’s some commitment, but I know the “fruits” of your labor are well worth it in the end. Pretty impressive being able to dive into a stash like that mid-winter. It’s something I took for granted as a boy, but now have learned to admire the older I get.

Joel

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Can I get your recipe on the beans? I have more than I can handle right now.

I used a pretty popular online recipe that kept showing up. We’ll see how it goes, but I think I’ll be happy with them –

Ingredients
    Green Beans – enough to make 4 pints or about 2 pounds
    4 sprigs of fresh dill weed or 4 heads of dill.
    4 cloves of garlic
    1/4 cup canning salt
    2 1/2 cups vinegar
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Here’s a good run-down of the rest of the details – http://www.simplycanning.com/dilly-beans.html

NOTES
    -I used twice the amount of garlic, and would’ve done twice the amount of dill had I had more of it growing out back
    -I used quart jars, which required a bit more brine (and jars) than they recommended due to the bigger beans we were using. Plan accordingly.
    -I made a spicier version that included:
    -one pierced serrano
    -several sweet peppers (for color and visual ID of the “spicy” beans)
    -My guess is that the “spicy” version will have just a little bit of heat from that serrano, but I didn’t want to keep too many people from eating them in case they ended up fiery. Red pepper flakes in the bottom would’ve been a good addition to make it spicier.

lhprop1
    Eagan

The problem I’ve found with pickling green beans is that they tend to come out rubbery. Does anyone have any tricks to keep them crisp?

lhprop1
    Eagan

That’s some commitment, but I know the “fruits” of your labor are well worth it in the end. Pretty impressive being able to dive into a stash like that mid-winter. It’s something I took for granted as a boy, but now have learned to admire the older I get.

Joel

There’s something rewarding about putting a meal on the table where everything except the butter and salt were created or harvested by you. Taters or squash and fresh veggies from the garden next to some venison or goose is about as good as it gets.

I just hope that by doing this, my sons will learn to appreciate where food comes from and the work that’s required to produce it.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joel Nelson wrote:</div>

Joel

There’s something rewarding about putting a meal on the table where everything except the butter and salt were created or harvested by you. Taters or squash and fresh veggies from the garden next to some venison or goose is about as good as it gets.

I just hope that by doing this, my sons will learn to appreciate where food comes from and the work that’s required to produce it.

Coming from a family where nearly everything we ate was just as you describe, I guarantee you they will. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

Joel

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The problem I’ve found with pickling green beans is that they tend to come out rubbery. Does anyone have any tricks to keep them crisp?

In each pint jar add about 1/4 tsp of powdered alum before pouring the brine in. Double the alum for a quart jar.

In my opinion you can’t overdo the dill. In my bean pickles I have a head of dill in the bottom of the jar and at the top.

The hot peppers can be coaxed into letting go of more heat if you cut the stem end of the pepper off leaving the top looking hollow and then stand the pepper upside in the jar after about 1/2 of the beans are packed in before filling with the remaining beans. You want the cut end of the pepper resting on the bottom of the jar. Leave the seeds and membranes in the peppers.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

It’s something I took for granted as a boy, but now have learned to admire the older I get.

As a kid I hated the garden. Weeding, picking, pulling up the dead stuff and digging it in the next spring. I wouldn’t know what to do today if I didn’t have a garden.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A question about the pickled beans. How are they served? Are they heated or just eaten cold like a dill pickle?

My great grandparents, grandparents, and parents were/are all big canners, but I don’t recall anyone doing beans. Which is strange because I remember everything else including the canned meat.

Grouse

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

My fav. Fizzy dills.

Attachments:
    1. photo1.jpg

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I use strictly distilled,or well water when I mix my brine.
    I NEVER USE TAP WATER
    Also the vegetables have to be fresh,It seems to keep all the vegetables crisp.
    I like my pickles to have a nice spice to them,along with plenty of dill.
    I place one large dill bloom on the bottom of the jar and one on the top.
    Minimum 10 garlic cloves
    I start with one jalepino,and one Hungarian hot peppers.
    To make then hotter I start adding more peppers.
    I also use Tia peppers in several jars for use in Bloody Mary’s
    I have used habeneros also, but most of my friends won’t eat them when they get that hot.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A question about the pickled beans. How are they served? Are they heated or just eaten cold like a dill pickle?

My great grandparents, grandparents, and parents were/are all big canners, but I don’t recall anyone doing beans. Which is strange because I remember everything else including the canned meat.

Grouse

I don’t know about the others, but I just chill a jar of them and pop the top and eat away.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Grouse

Great snack food and a pretty good condiment all around, especially in Bloody Mary’s.

Joel

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I just opened a trial test jar of pickled mushrooms we made last year.
    They taste delicious,what a great addition to Bloody Mary’s.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Another goody is to do pearl onions with hot peppers

lhprop1
    Eagan

I was up until 3:00 am canning 38 pints of salsa and 2 quarts of spaghetti sauce. That was probably just shy of 1/2 of the tomatoes I’ll have this year.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.