Party Hunting Question

• goosehunter

I recently shot a button buck in the youth season and quickly realized. it wasent that much meat. so i wondered about party hunting. i looked in the regulation booklet and found out i can party hunt. but if my dad and i go hunting, do i have to be sitting with him or can i be in a different spot?? personaly i dont like party hunting to much but my dad says it would be ok if i use his tag on a doe so i figured i might as well try, id just like to be clear on the regs first.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You can’t fill his tag unless you are hunting together.

Many people have their mom’s and dad’s, brothers and relatives buy tags, and they fill them without the mom having to pick up a gun just so they can shoot another buck or deer… That is illegal. They must be in the same area- hunting.

Hope that answers your question.

Can’t have a party without the people- together in 1 place…

deertracker

In the same area but not the same stand. They have to have the ability to communicate in case a deer is shot.
    DT

goosehunter

That answers my question. Thanks guys! )

ozzyky
    On water

Doesn’t apply to bow hunting. No party hunting. Although same crap goes on I’m just waiting for this idiot to post both bucks on Facebook that were taken by bow.

goosehunter

I would call T.I.P. as soon as he does.

Protourbaits1

Doesn’t apply to bow hunting. No party hunting. Although same crap goes on I’m just waiting for this idiot to post both bucks on Facebook that were taken by bow.

Seriously?? I had a buddy who shot a 140″ 12 point in October 2012, and then shot a 130″+ 9 point around thanksgiving and used his brother tag. Everyone said it was “legal” because they party hunted….

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Double check the regs on that. I know you can’t mix archery & firearms with respect to party hunting but “in general” a party can be defined for firearms hunters and archery hunters hunting in a group at the same time.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ozzyky wrote:</div>

Double check the regs on that. I know you can’t mix archery & firearms with respect to party hunting but “in general” a party can be defined for firearms hunters and archery hunters hunting in a group at the same time.

Looks like MN & Wi have different rules with respect to party hunting. Probably adds to the confusion…

Mn Regs: A “party” is defined as any group of two or more licensed deer hunters who are all afield; hunting together at the same time; AND all using firearms (including muzzleloaders) or all using archery.
    A mixed group of firearms and archery hunters is considered two separate parties.

Wi Regs: It is illegal to kill game for another person except during a deer firearm season when any member of a group deer hunting party may kill a deer for another member of the party. Group hunting is not legal for persons hunting with bows and crossbows.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ozzyky wrote:</div>

Seriously?? I had a buddy who shot a 140″ 12 point in October 2012, and then shot a 130″+ 9 point around thanksgiving and used his brother tag. Everyone said it was “legal” because they party hunted….

Could be legal…Were they both hunting together, afield?

Was the brother’s tag an archery tag and 2nd deer shot with a bow?
    Was the brother’s tag a shotgun/muzzy tag, then any weapon could be used to harvest the deer.

I’ve just seen it too many times where someone has multiple people’s tags in their pockets.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Since when can you not party hunt for archery??? I know an adult can not fill a youth or disabled hunters tag but outside of that I can not recall anything saying its not allowed as long as an archery tag is filled by another person in the party via archery or same with firearms…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Looks like Tegg nailed it.

Protourbaits1

Could be legal…Were they both hunting together, afield?

Was the brother’s tag an archery tag and 2nd deer shot with a bow?
    Was the brother’s tag a shotgun/muzzy tag, then any weapon could be used to harvest the deer.

I’ve just seen it too many times where someone has multiple people’s tags in their pockets.

I’m not certain whether his brother was hunting that morning or not. His brother had a archery tag

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Back to the original question.

First, where are you? We’re assuming MN, is that correct?

If that is the case, here’s the general MN DNR rule as Tegg posted:

The intent of the party hunting regulation is to prevent parties from shooting more deer than the available number of tags. The party hunting regulation requires that all hunters who intend to tag deer for each other be hunting together, in the field, at the time the deer are taken. Party members who are not afield hunting with the individual who takes a deer at the time it is taken may not legally tag that deer. Hunters may not lend licenses to or borrow licenses from other hunters.

However…

There are special party hunting regs in the 300 Zone, so read those carefully if you are in that zone.

Grouse

goosehunter

thats correct. i will be hunting in Minnesota

ozzyky
    On water

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to Wisconsin archery.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.