Northerns on the north end?

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

We will be staying at the Red Door next week for a few days. I would like to try and target some northerns but have never fished for them up there. I’m assuming that I could troll the first break weed line and do ok? Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Should find a few pike there. Might run into a fair share of guys pitching for muskies. Thought some of the south end weedy bays where better for pike. I had been spending some time casting for them on smaller lakes in Aitkin this spring. Good old white spinner bait still works great for them.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hi Brian @BrianPeterson

When I used to guide up there in the fall I would go out well before dark each night to tune cranks and get things organized for the night. Any time I was ahead of schedule I would do some trolling on the north end for pike. A #5 jointed shad rap in Firetiger (I know, not a typical pike bait) trolled outside the weedline in 12′ – 14′ of water was ridiculously effective at putting 28″ – 36″ pike in the boat. I’d keep the bait running right about the 8′ mark to keep it up and out of the weeds. I never stuck any giants this way but the action was good. And this was back before the pike populations exploded.

fishdale

Hi Brian @BrianPeterson

When I used to guide up there in the fall I would go out well before dark each night to tune cranks and get things organized for the night. Any time I was ahead of schedule I would do some trolling on the north end for pike. A #5 jointed shad rap in Firetiger (I know, not a typical pike bait) trolled outside the weedline in 12′ – 14′ of water was ridiculously effective at putting 28″ – 36″ pike in the boat. I’d keep the bait running right about the 8′ mark to keep it up and out of the weeds. I never stuck any giants this way but the action was good. And this was back before the pike populations exploded.

I do not fish Mille lacs but on our lake I do what James says but use Rapala DT6’s instead and do very well. Somedays they are in the 16′ – 20′ and then a DT10 works well.

Let us know how it goes as I was looking at making that same trip a few weeks ago but other plans came up and hope to reschedule in Aug.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Brian,

This is an area I’m very familiar with and there are some great areas for Pike near the Red Door. If I want action very similar to what James mentioned I would Troll the break-line in about 12-14′. The only difference is that for Pike I prefer a Deep Husky Jerk run out 65-75′.. The main reason is that I don’t like Trolling with a wire leader and it takes a monster to inhale a Husky Jerk so I rarely lose a lure to the toothy critters. I would also recommend heading over to Garrison Bay and trolling the break-line there as well.

Another approach that should introduce you to some larger Pike and also trophy smallies will be to get a half dozen 8″ sucker minnows and put them 4′ down under a large float, set up just outside of a weed bed, and then pitch or preferably with the right wind just let it push your bait up into the cabbage. You will have to troll around to find exactly where the weeds are set up this year but the 3 areas I would start looking are:
    Approximately 1/2 mile East of the Red Door right at the point where the breakline becomes very steep.
    Approximately 150-250 yds West of the Red Door you will see a horseshoe shaped area on your map chip… Just inside of the bottom of the “U” you should be able to find a nice cabbage bed.
    Approximately 1.5 miles West of the Red Door in front of the Buck’s resort seasonal campers there should be another great weedbed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you end up with a couple big eyes doing this as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Will

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Thanks a ton Will! I’ll be sure to report back. I know right where you’re talking about.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Will,

What incredibly detailed information for Brian. This is the kind of detailed info IDO used to be known for back in the “fishtheriver.com” days. Lately the info has gotten very generic. Kudos to you on the great info. Hopefully Brian will put a hurtin’ on em’!

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Hi Brian @BrianPeterson

Jim Firetiger is a great go to color when the nateral colors aren’t working!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.