New boat mark

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

It was an interesting night. My friend Kevin Clark set a new mark for big fish in my boat. While we were taking a picture another fish managed to drag a rod over board. A bit later we saw the bobber come up so we quickly pulled baits and went after it. We got to the bobber and the line was broken. Somehow it broke 20 pound power pro. That sucked but other than that a fine night. This monster channel cat taped out at 39 x 24.5. The shaker I am holding was a 33 x 19 for scale. The big one hit a cut sucker 30 yards from the boat and came up with a big tail splash and I knew we were into a monster. I’ve seen big muskies that didn’t make as big a swirl. It proceeded to go on a salmonesqe run for another 30 yards and was a knife fight beside the boat with several missed attempts at netting her. When we got her on board the hook fell out. He was lucky. I estimate 30 lbs maybe more. My biggest is 37 x 24 and it weighed in at 27lbs. I’ve found a new spot and it is full of big girls. Anyone free next weekend? I have an open seat. I can’t take Kevin anymore or he will knock me off the cat board. If anyone knows Kevin he is a lucky guy who can’t be trusted with a net. We got 8 tonight and then the bite died when the wind picked up. I don’t know how to delete a picture and I’ve noticed the photos get cropped a bit. Maybe a moderator could help to get it framed up properly.

Attachments:
    1. DSC01067.jpg

2. Kevin-upgrade1.jpg

3. Clark-Piggie.jpg

4. Kevin-upgrade.jpg

5. Clark-pig.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Those photo previews do not do those fish justice! Click on the image!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A guy could make Spam out of those pigs!!

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

I’m sure that 33 is a dandy… but the 39 makes it look pretty small…

Nice fish! Bummer on the rod though.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I know but you have to factor in the Clark is only 4 feet tall and wears a horse shoe in his third point of contact.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Sweet looking fish, Kevin. You are looking good on the King of the Cats Channel Cat Leaderboard with a score of 163.5. That big fish of Kevin Clark’s is a giant 63.5 point fish – that is a beautiful trophy Channel cat. All I can say is – WOW!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Damn Kevin…You have the gift!!
    What a beaut….

You know I always have time don’t you <whistling>

mr-special
    MPLS

thsoe are some SUMO kittes. heck at a quick glance one might think thats a flat ya got there. the head on that thing is just massive.
    kudos

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I don’t know what it is about this spot but the fish seem to run bigger here than anywhere I’ve tried on the lake. I’ve seen two fish bigger than I’ve caught anywhere all last year in 2 trips.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

great fish, guys!
    awesome pix, too, when you click on them to see full frame
    (many thumbs-up smileys)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You don’t need to be a cat guy to find those pics impressive. That 39″ channel was… is… something special.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Thanks James,

I haven’t talked to you in a while. I’ve only tried one little spot in this Bay and I’ve seen 21 fish over 10 lbs in two trips. The two bigger ones and the one that stole my rod came from deeper so Friday I am heading out again and I’m going to fish deeper to test my hypothesis. There is something drawing them to this spot. I think it is a combination of current and wind direction and young of the year gills and perch. Every once in a while I get on a pattern and it can be really fun. Kind of like fishing floats for gills when we were kids only these gills break your gear and steel your stuff.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.