Marcum Showdown Troller 2.0 Suction Cup Mount

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I’m picking up a Showdown 2.0 for canoe trips and days on the ice where I will be doing a lot of hole hopping. I have been looking for a suction cup mount and I’m hitting a dead end, so I’m wondering if anyone has a suction cup mount they could refer to me. In an aluminum canoe I normally shoot it through the hull but I’m not sure the sound will travel through the foam in my Wenonah Canoe. Any thoughts would be helpful.
    -Ben

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I had one from Lowrance that worked well. Maybe it would work with your Showdown.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m picking up a Showdown 2.0 for canoe trips and days on the ice where I will be doing a lot of hole hopping. I have been looking for a suction cup mount and I’m hitting a dead end, so I’m wondering if anyone has a suction cup mount they could refer to me. In an aluminum canoe I normally shoot it through the hull but I’m not sure the sound will travel through the foam in my Wenonah Canoe. Any thoughts would be helpful.
    -Ben

Ben-

I really enjoy using a Showdown in the BWCA and wouldn’t think of canoe fishing without one. I did a report on one of my trips up there a couple years back that showed how I mounted it. I didn’t use the suction cup mount…. all I did was throw the ducer over the side and it worked so well at fishing speeds that I gave up on the idea of use a mount for the transducer of any kind. Here’s that report >>> http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/fishing/reports/1167392/

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Thanks James, I’ll try that out and let you know how it works for me

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks James, I’ll try that out and let you know how it works for me

If you’re lucky the ducer will shoot right through the bottom of you Wenonah. If it does then all you need to do to retain full depth read out when at cruising speeds is to lay the ducer flat side down on the bottom of the canoe and it will pick up the sonar signals right through the hull. Out of the 3 Kevlar canoes we use this works in two of them. One of the newer 3 man Wenonah canoes has some foam in the bottom of the canoe between the layers of Kevlar which I assume is being used for added rigidity in the larger canoe. The sonar doesn’t shoot through the foam in that instance but you can still use it at fishing speeds with the ducer hanging over the side.

Let us know what ends up working out for you, and more importantly, how your trips into the back country turn out this summer.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I decided to skip the duct tape/zip tie method, and instead opted to create a new rear thwart from a 2×1 cut to length. I drilled the mounting bracket directly to my new thwart and now I’m ready for action. I’m getting out this Saturday for a 5 day trip, so I’ll let you know how it goes. I hope to get a few fish too big for the net, but we’ll see!

Attachments:
    1. image40.jpg

2. image41.jpg

3. image42.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Heck yea, that will work. Which lakes will you be fishing / traveling through?

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Heck yea, that will work. Which lakes will you be fishing / traveling through?

Crooked Lake will be about 80% of the trip, the other 20% will just be logistics. I’m bringing about 20 lbs of rapalas, jigs, and triggerX plastic tubes/minnows/twisters. If we aren’t killing the fish, no one will be!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Never will I ever go into the BWCA without my Showdown! Pics to come.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Never will I ever go into the BWCA without my Showdown! Pics to come.

The difference that unit makes to your fishing success in the BWCA almost feels like cheating. Almost…

I’ll be looking forward to the pics!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.