Last gasp for the open water year

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

Well, it looks like that time is here for me. Headed up to Nisswa for the weekend. Got a few friends coming with that I haven’t fished with before and should be a good time. Wives shopping and husbands fishing, all is right with the world.

Hope we pick up a few. Based on work and other things this is mostly likely my last shot at open water. North end of Gull is the most likely destination.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good luck man, let us know how you do I’m trying to make it to the family cabin 1 more time this year by Pine River.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Back from the weekend and here’s what’s what for our group.

Went out on Saturday starting around noon on Gull. Cool but nice in the sun following Friday’s cold front. Almost no wind all day. Almost no fish all day too. One pike and two dinky perch was what we had to show. Mainly trying the break lines from the weed edge down to the bottom around 30fow. Lindy and jig presentations with medium size shiners. We weren’t marking much either.

Before launching I was chatting with the DRN dude and the local police officer. The report was BAD for everyone they saw coming in lately. Talked to my neighbor today and he had the same report too. Made us feel a little better but at least it was a beautiful fall weekend.

Today we took off for a few hours around the end of the 3rd quarter of the Vikes game. Different plan for today, targeting crappies with our leftover shiners. We found a few spots that showed high numbers of fish on the electronics. bobbers = no fish. jigs = no fish. twister tale on jig = couple hits, no fish. Other boats, mostly no fish using bobbers.

One boat was doing better than others. Took us quite a while to figure it out. They were drop shotting. One of our guys gave it a shot(pun intended) and landed a crappie in under 5 minutes. First time for the other two of us on the technique. We landed a couple and missed a few more. Nothing gangbusters but was a neat way to end the day.

Hope others got out to enjoy the beautiful fall weather!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.