Inline Reels *Black Betty*?

• mitchfic
    Blaine, MN

Im thinking about going to an inline reel for panfishing through the ice. I like the look of the 13Fishing 2015 Black Betty

Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts? Should I get a different one?

Thanks

Adam Rasmussen
    Mosinee, WI

I’m not sure which model you are looking at? The “Black Betty” is a 1:1 gear ratio. This reel has a lower price point and works great in water that is less than 10 feet deep. If you spend anytime fishing in deeper water you will love the “Black Betty 6061”. This reel has an adjustable drag as well as a 2.7:1 gear ratio. The super free spool is awesome for getting your bait deep, fast.

Whichever fits your fishing needs, you will be happy!

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I have the one you posted and I like it but don’t love it. Adam is spot on about 10′ or less. Also if you free spool remember to either tighten the drag back down or hold the reel during hook set. Mine is currently on my site fishing rod.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I believe he’s asking about the 2015 6061. I have one. I like it much better than last years model, it seems to be a little smoother and the carbon drag works great on it from what I’ve seen so far. The freespool option is always nice to have. The only cons I have are it’s still a little off balance side to side because of the weight of the gearing, and also if you fish outside, the aluminum body transfers the cold to your hands faster, so your hands get alot colder. So far I’m happy with it.

tacotom
    Woodbury Mn

I had 2 Black Betty’s last season. I sold them. I didn’t care for them at all. I now have the 6061 and 3 EC inlines. I love them.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I got a NO 8 tackle CGI reel a few weeks ago. Got a chance to get line on it and play with it a little this last weekend. So far from what I see it looks like it may be a great reel for the price. That said, I also took a look at the Black Betty 6061 and it also looked like a great reel but at almost 3X the price of the No 8 CGI

Lee Russ

OK… gonna sound like a dumbass here, but I’m not new to it so here goes…. What is so much better about these rigs than the standard ice spinning reel??? Just wondering… CHEERS!!!!!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

OK… gonna sound like a dumbass here, but I’m not new to it so here goes…. What is so much better about these rigs than the standard ice spinning reel??? Just wondering… CHEERS!!!!!

no line twist or coils in the line that normally come with spinning reels. You notice it a lot more when using very light jigs

Bassn Dan

I got a NO 8 tackle CGI reel a few weeks ago. Got a chance to get line on it and play with it a little this last weekend. So far from what I see it looks like it may be a great reel for the price. That said, I also took a look at the Black Betty 6061 and it also looked like a great reel but at almost 3X the price of the No 8 CGI

I was looking at the No8 CGI, but they had them bubble packed so I couldn’t try it out. It looks like it has a free spool button, but nothing on the packaging or the web says if it does.

Do these reels free spool?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    I was looking at the No8 CGI, but they had them bubble packed so I couldn’t try it out. It looks like it has a free spool button, but nothing on the packaging or the web says if it does.

Do these reels free spool?

Yes it does and from what I saw it is real smooth. My guess is it will allow the smallest jig to free fall real well.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

It’s the same guts as they 13 6061 inline! Same design only difference is the 8fishing is a plastic body versus the machined aluminum of the 13!

Attachments:
    1. image79.jpg

Bassn Dan

Thanks fishthumper and bronzbak. Looks like some No8’s will be on my list. I had looked at one of the new Clam Ice Spooler Elite inline reels and while it looked good it had no freespool and cost more than the No8’s.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

My experience with any reels/rods clam Frabil was plain old rubbish!

Tonka
    Minnesota

Look at the Frabill 371, it’s the same reel as the blackbetty 6061 but it’s got a composite body making it way lighter, plus it has 2 reel stems to suit your fishing style. I own one and used it for the first time last weekend. Comparing it to the eagle claw and the blackbetty 6061 which I have both owned, I would say this reel is the best inline I’ve seen so far. I’m not saying it’s perfect but it is a huge improvement from everything else. Also, the gear ratio is 3.7:1 picking up more line than any of it’s inline competitors that I know of. This is my 2 cents, good luck.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.