I'm Finally BACK!!!!

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Had issues after the upgrade so I’ve been sorely absent recently. Anyway……. just wanted to share with Randy and Grouse that I finally got my hands on a box of Hornady Varmint Express 55gr. Factory Loads and low and behold, my Axis likes them just as much as those 45gr hp Winchesters! So, if I get a chance to ‘yote travel, I’ve got something I think will work. Also, I’m moving to a country place in a couple of weeks and I should be able to sight my stuff in for 200yds or more now. YAY!!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Great to see your finally catching up to us.

When your all settled in, got that 250 zero’d, and ready to do some plinking….here is about 48 reasons why we need to road trip out to Wyoming or Colorado

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great to see you back!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Glad to see you’re back and congrats on the move.

Just did a little work and fired some test batches on my Axis .22-250 this past weekend. I had trouble connecting in SD last year and I think the problem was that I had it 1.5 inches high at 200, but the bullet was still climbing, so at 250-300 it was 4 inches high, etc.

I backed it down to a an inch high at 200 and that seems to be close to flat because it’s only a tad higher at 100.

5 shot groups are right at and just under an inch, or at least that’s the best I can do is about .92 as far as repeatable results. I’ve shot touching 3 shot groups, but to me that’s not a real group as anyone can get lucky with 3 shots, add 2 more and the flaws show.

But one has to keep an eye on the fact that this is a sub-$600 rifle all in and that INCLUDES a damn nice Bushnell Elite 6×24 scope that is new old stock from when they were made in Japan. I finally got to the point where I just said there must be better uses of money than buying $1000 varmint rifles so I can burn the barrels out of them shooting what amounts to overgrown rodents. The replacement barrel for my Sako would cost more than BOTH the Savage Axis rifles I own.

Grouse

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Love the video Randy! That would be awesome to be there for! With winter setting in we’re going to have to start talking yotes again!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Thanks! It’s gonna be great being back “with the boys”. It took me a bit to get my wifi set up but we’re all good now.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Grouse! When I was doggin’ in SD last May, mine was shooting high more often than not as well. I thought it was because I was shooting downhill all the time and I had zeroed on a nearly flat plane.

With the price point of the Axis, I have to agree. If you’re going to burn something up, get one of those. One day, I’d still like to compare a Venture. After the cost of a replacement trigger, and now the availability of the Axis II, the cost is neck and neck. I haven’t looked to see if Boyd’s makes stocks for them or not but if they do, I might try to find one in a .204 and mess with that “experience”. We’ll see….. right now it’s still just a thought.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Welcome back, Ken!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.