Portable DVR for recording from Marcum.

• chriswallace
    Andover, MN

Just picked up the new MarCum 825 and was hoping to record some film. Not a lot of footage on each trip but can anyone help point in the right direction as to what I need to this?

chriswallace
    Andover, MN

Does that come with the cables to connect with than?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Surely does.

About the only thing you need to add is an SD card. An 8 GB card is cheap and will hold a LOT of video.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

What kind of speed do you need for it, Jim? I remember when I bought a card for my new digital camera last year, there were differences in the cards. The speed of it was what I remembered, and had to do with taking movies I believe.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I bought a 4 gig card, but with the prices dropping 8 gigs makes sense. In winter your battery will die before 4 gigs is filled up…but that’s a lot of video.

Guess I never worried about speed, it’s more about size Denny…(no wife jokes please)

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

James,
    Is $100 bucks about the going rate for these? The link you posted took us to B&H..I’ve not purchased from them before but will use them if you guys have.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure where James is right now Frank, but I paid $119. for mine last year in Red which was $10. less expensive. I don’t recall if James purchased his from B&H but I did.

No issues.

What makes this video cameras work so well is we’re using the MarCum camera and only the recording system on the recorder. The camera’s optics and audio leave much to be desired, but for recording from a MarCum, the are inexpensive and work great.

Between the higher resolution recording and them being digital, the videos turn out less grainy than the DV cameras I’ve used in the past. Faster up loading into your computer too.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James,
    Is $100 bucks about the going rate for these? The link you posted took us to B&H..I’ve not purchased from them before but will use them if you guys have.

IDO purchases most all our camera, video and production equipment from B&H. They’re very, very reliable, have excellent customer service and their prices are hard to beat.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thank you Brian and James for the added information. I’m swooping onto that site now and will have one on order within a few minutes (I hope). This sounds exactly what I have been looking for to compliment the Marcum camera.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

It shipped the same day I ordered it..WOW. (B&H)

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

I bought a 4 gig card, but with the prices dropping 8 gigs makes sense. In winter your battery will die before 4 gigs is filled up…but that’s a lot of video.

Guess I never worried about speed, it’s more about size Denny…(no wife jokes please)

I don’t mean to dig up some dirt guys (a month later) but, I was referring to the speed of the card. Here is what I’m asking.
    For most casual photographers, memory card capacity should be the deciding factor. Use these guidelines as a rule of thumb for choosing minimum card capacities:

If you shoot Jpeg only: 2-4GB
    If you primarily shoot in Raw mode: 4-8GB
    If you shoot Jpeg and video: 4-16GB
    If you shoot Raw and video: 8-32GB
    Faster cards (20-30MB per sec) may improve performance of DSLR cameras in burst mode, and decrease the time it takes to offload large files using a fast card reader. If you shoot video with your digital camera, then a Class 4 card should cover your needs unless otherwise stated by the camera manufacturer. Of course, it doesn’t hurt to buy a card with a fast speed rating, you just may be paying for more than you need.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I don’t mean to dig up some dirt guys (a month later) but, I was referring to the speed of the card. Here is what I’m asking.

For most casual photographers, memory card capacity should be the deciding factor. Use these guidelines as a rule of thumb for choosing minimum card capacities:

If you shoot Jpeg only: 2-4GB

If you primarily shoot in Raw mode: 4-8GB

If you shoot Jpeg and video: 4-16GB

If you shoot Raw and video: 8-32GB

Faster cards (20-30MB per sec) may improve performance of DSLR cameras in burst mode, and decrease the time it takes to offload large files using a fast card reader. If you shoot video with your digital camera, then a Class 4 card should cover your needs unless otherwise stated by the camera manufacturer. Of course, it doesn’t hurt to buy a card with a fast speed rating, you just may be paying for more than you need.

The bitrate on the incoming analog video stream is pretty low so you won’t need anything particularly fast. However, since there’s really no significant money to be saved by going with a class 2… I never buy them. I can usually find Class 4 cards from respected companies for $9 – $12 online. Can you save a few bucks on slower cards? Sure. But then you can’t use them in DSLR cameras or any of the new AVCHD video cameras w/o performance issues / limitations.

I’ve had fantastic results using Transcend cards. In fact, IDO uses them exclusively for recording all media. We use the Class 10 cards in our main video cameras, Class 6 cards in B roll cameras and Class 4 cards for recording underwater video. We’ve never had a single issue or glitch with a Transcend chip… even after dropping them, loaded with footage, in the snow (can you say HEART ATTACK!)?!

Transcend SD Cards at TigerDirect.com

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks James, Right to the heart of my question!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.