Just finished my tip down

• foxman79
    Anoka, MN

I’ve never used a tip down before, but after watching the recent video and reading posts from fellow IDO’ers, I thought I would give it a try.
    Let me know what you think, especially if you can foresee any problems when I actually put it to use.
    The reason I choose PVC was so that the tip down would double as the rod case (look at 2nd pic).
    I spent a total of $16 for the materials at Menards, plus the $10 pole, but I have enough material to build at least one more.
    (The last time I was this excited about building something out of PVC it involved potatoes and hairspray)
    Now I really can’t wait for the ice to come.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

I’ve never used a tip down before, but after watching the recent video and reading posts from fellow IDO’ers, I thought I would give it a try.
    Let me know what you think, especially if you can foresee any problems when I actually put it to use.
    The reason I choose PVC was so that the tip down would double as the rod case (look at 2nd pic).
    I spent a total of $16 for the materials at Menards, plus the $10 pole, but I have enough material to build at least one more.
    (The last time I was this excited about building something out of PVC it involved potatoes and hairspray)
    Now I really can’t wait for the ice to come.

Necessity is the mother of all invention. Very nice work! Might want to spraypaint them, or keep them white and keep the locals guessing. I like the way they fold and double as a holder. Looks like you could carry a pile of them with you quite easily.

Joel

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Very nicely done

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

No reason that won’t work. There’s plenty of variations of PVC designs being used.

I’ve built a number of the wooden ones that IceNutz has plans for around here out of scrap, and they truly work great. I’d experiented with similar design earlier, and didn’t quite have the dimensions down. His plan is simple, and you can easily fit a bunch in a 5 gallon bucket. Thanks so much for sharing this inexpensive design with all of us.

Fleet Farm has the poles for $6 right now, but they don’t stock again as the season progresses. If someone wants to try tip downs this year, go stock up now.

Tip downs can also be a great tool for kids. It’s exciting for them to see the action, run to grab the rod, then just walk backwards and pull their catch through the ice. OK, it can be exciting for us big kids too.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

nice job. we also built ours out of pvc but didnt put legs on it like yours, didnt even think of that. they work good. good luck with them.

dpomann
    Sartell,MN

Looks great!! I like how it all folds into itself for transporting! Great design! maybe you could make a few more and sell one or two????? if so give me a shout!

Nice Work!

Tanner Wildes

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I ordered this on sunday and it arrived yesterday. When you take it apart everything stores in the tube. The legs unscrew then you just fold them up and put in the tube with the rod. Just an idea for somebody that wants to make something similar.

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

Quote:

I ordered this on sunday and it arrived yesterday. When you take it apart everything stores in the tube. The legs unscrew then you just fold them up and put in the tube with the rod. Just an idea for somebody that wants to make something similar.

Where did you order it? I haven’t been able to find them.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice job foxman

Thanks for the pics also targa. Both designs have my wheels spinnin’
    Yes, I have wheels

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Very nice, great idea with the legs, People forget that early and late ice you tend to not have any snow and the pvc ones without legs get hard to stand up.

I would recommend getting a 7 foot piece of strong string and tying the pole to the stand. I have had Northerns and Walleyes pull a pole down the hole and if it was not tied to the stand it would of been gone!!!

I use a small eye screw to attach the string to the tip down and a loop with a slip knot to put around the handle of the pole.

I would like to see how the legs work if you could post some better pics and maybe how you did it.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Quote:

Yes, I have wheels

would those wheels be on the short bus???

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

I would recommend getting a 7 foot piece of strong string and tying the pole to the stand. I have had Northerns and Walleyes pull a pole down the hole and if it was not tied to the stand it would of been gone!!!

I use a small eye screw to attach the string to the tip down and a loop with a slip knot to put around the handle of the pole.

Great idea Nutz

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

very nice design, hope it ices many fish for you. -Mark

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

Thanks for all the comments guys.
    I like the idea about adding a string so the bigger ones don’t pull the pole into the hole.

I’ll take more pics of the legs and add those as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.