Ice Anchors?

• trouter18

I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this topic, but I couldn’t find one. I recently got some Clam ice anchors for my 2 man sled-type shack. Two came in the package. Any advice on where to mount these on the sled or any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help. On a side note, if anyone can help me understand the search feature of this website better I would also appreciate it. I tried using it, but it didn’t really narrow the search by that topic (example, type in auger while searching the ice-fishing forum and the first few results were regarding flashers???)

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Bolt one at each end of the sled on the same side as the back wall.

scottd
    wisconsin

For the anchors-you will drill a hole through the floor of sled (near corner but on flat surface).
    Id do cross corner-Drill bit size justly slightly larger than anchor.

The other method would be to scew the anchor in the ice and clip or bungee them to the fish house.

Scott

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Some will agree and some will disagree…
    To put it nicely, dont use them. Sorry to burst your bubble. -Mark

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Some will agree and some will disagree…
    To put it nicely, dont use them. Sorry to burst your bubble. -Mark

Hey Mark,

Why not? And by asking the question I’m not challenging your opinion in any way. Actually I’d like more info on how you came to that opinion because I don’t know beans about ice anchors. I’ve never used them but would like to know more about the subject. Thanks in advance.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Well by buddy bought one of the pack/tent type houses. He tried to use it in the wind and then decided to try to put the Ice screws into the ice so he didnt have to sit on the edge to keep it from blowing away. He bought the little screw driver tool to put into the cordless. As it turns out his drill was dead so he called me from across the lake cuz i have those tools in my truck for work.
    By the laws of physics, screws that hold things togther are nothing more than the simple machine also known as a wedge. Wedges, like nails force things apart as they are inserted. To make a long story short, i had to predrill (with a drill bit) into the ice so i could get the screw to catch but not act as too much of a wedge.
    I personally just dont see them as an efficient device. If done right they can work, but its a pain.
    Ive been in some good wind on LOW, red, whinnie and yes the wind had tried to push the otter around espicially if there is no snow, but you just have to stay seated and keep on fishing.
    Also by drilling unplugged holes in the bottom of the slead allows a lot of snow to shoot in the slead when towing it a few miles.
    Maybe some like them but they are not for this guy…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Also by drilling unplugged holes in the bottom of the slead allows a lot of snow to shoot in the slead when towing it a few miles.
    Maybe some like them but they are not for this guy…

If I read these right you need to drill holes in the bottom of your ice house? If that’s the case… no way in heck would I be willing to do that. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Ps – a snowmobile hooked to a shack via a tow bar makes a good ice anchor.

flockosyr

Homemade Anchors: Cut 1” angle iron 4” to 6” longer than the hole your auger is creating (12” works good up to 10” holes). Drill 1-hole in center and 1-hole at 1-end. Connect a 12’ piece of rope on center hole for connecting to shanty. Connect 6’ rope on end hole for installing and removing from hole.

Anchoring shanty: Drill hole in ice and use rope on end of angle iron anchor to drop in hole then pull up center rope to create anchor then attach to shanty. Good practice is to connected one to shanty then install in hole up wind before setting up. Install addition anchors depending on wind speed and direction. Problem solved! I have Otter Magnum and Clam base camp and work great in 10 to 20 MPH wind

Flockosyr

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.