Waxies, spkes, mousies, euro larvae, or ????

• jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

We’ve had a post on your favorite ice jigs, but what is your favorite “meat” to tip them with if you use one?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

As far as meat goes I have always been a huge fan of the eurolarve, however some of the lakes I fish require the use of fresh water shrimp for the bigger gills. I believe all the mentioned baits have a time to be fished, if I had to choose it would be eurolarve. 3 of them on a gill pill…deadly.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I prefer to fish with just a plastic tail or I go to waxies as a backup. I like to put one waxie on so most of the body hangs off the back of the hook. I tap my finger on the rod a little and it looks like its swimming.

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

The last couple of years we have had great luck with spikes , mostly naturals , but the red ones have their place too.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Spikes, tough little critters. Don’t see euro larva down this way too much, would like to try them

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Quote:

Spikes, tough little critters. Don’t see euro larva down this way too much, would like to try them

Correct me if I’m wrong but,I think spikes and euro larvae are pretty much the same animal…maggots.They are definitely my preference and as said,tough little critters.They will keep a long time in the fridge if taken care of.

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

red spikes all the way for me

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

If I have to use them, it is red spikes or wax worms.

schlankki
    otsego, mn

the last couple years i’ve been moving further and further away from live baits. Berkley makes an awesome maggot imitation in all your fish catching colors and this year has a 1 inch gulp minnow i can’t wait to use. If i had to pick it would be euro larva in red and natural and panfish leeches.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The Gulp “alive” baits come in three very nice body styles, one of which is a spttin image of the the ratso tail. As well as this stuff works right now, I’m putting my money on these critters this winter and if they just won’t get fish then I’ll do red spikes and nothing but red spikes.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Quote:

Correct me if I’m wrong but,I think spikes and euro larvae are pretty much the same animal…maggots.They are definitely my preference and as said,tough little critters.They will keep a long time in the fridge if taken care of.

I believe you are right. Euro larva are colored spikes. So yes, we do get them down here. We always just asked for red spikes

arklite881south

Here is my vote for CJS to jump into the Imitation Euro/Waxie market. I think there is a huge upside there. If I have to use meat I would definately prefer balling up some Euros, but the imitiation stuff works pretty good. I’d like to see imitation fresh water shrimp also. Color these things in dark brown or orange!! LIGHTS OUT!! Need to scent them too!!

stuart
    Mn.

Hands down the best panfish bait is the bee larva inside the pods of the golden rod plant. Takes some work to get them out,but worth the effort for finicky fish days.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Hands down the best panfish bait is the bee larva inside the pods of the golden rod plant. Takes some work to get them out,but worth the effort for finicky fish days.

Stuart:

Was wondering if anyone was going to drop that one. It’s been a few years since I’ve done it. Definitely some work, but like you said, often worth it. I was finding that unless the bait is at least partially frozen however, you need some pretty fine-wire hooks to push through those larvae or you’ll destroy them.

For me the euro larvae are a bit tougher and easier to handle because of their size/availability.

Definitely a great bait tho!

Joel

schlankki
    otsego, mn

I’m up on the iron range grouse hunting and ended up picking a half a five gallon bucket full. We cut them open and ended up with about three dozen. We use them to catch herring in two harbors. some of the beaver ponds are starting to get iced over come on ice

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.