Canvas Craft NorpacR2 Shelter

• DaveI

Well, after this season, I have to say, fishing in a Canvas Craft Norpac insulated shelter IS the way to go! I’m very happy with my choice. I picked up a Magnum double-flip from Canvas Craft last fall and after a season’s use, I am very happy with the quality, warmth and features.

My sons enjoyed fishing without condensation dripping on them and it was much warmer than our standard canvas flip-over.

Most times, we’d heat with only a two mantle gas lantern. And, it was nicer to have some room for a change, too.

The lighter colored interior was also easier on the eyes.

I just thought I’d give my public thumbs up to Canvas Craft for making our ice fishing season more fun and comfy.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

That does look nice! I’m gonna be in the market for a new house next year too, definatley give it a look!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Can you post some more pics of the seating/tub configuration. Also, if you can post a “through” shot of both sides?

thanks!!

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

I have the 5′ x 8′ suitcase style from Canvas Craft with the Norpac fabric. The fabric makes a big difference in the warmth of the house. -20 deg with a wind and a Mr. heater still keeps you very warm. With calm air above 20 deg the lowest heater setting is too hot, have to leave the vent and door top open. Another nice feature is the white interior color. It makes it very bright inside. Trade off is the cost and weight, mine weighs about 100 lbs.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That looks dam nice! What kind of sled/seating does that have? Does the insulated fabric hold condensation water?

DaveI

Here’s a couple of seating configurations we’ve found to work well.

The deluxe back-to-back seats rest on the Otter tub walls and each person faces a door, two on each side.

Another seating arrangement we played with, for two anglers who want mega room in the shelter, is fishing two holes sideways. To experiment and save a few bucks not buying back-to-back seats, we quickly built a wood table that rests across the Otter tub to hold gear or snacks and we found a couple of folding chairs in the shed. This way, a heater could also sit inside the Otter tub right in the middle of the shelter and a door is on the side of each angler; which eliminates stepping over holes and depthfinders to get out.

Both seating arrangements have their advantages.

And, no, equipped with the NorpacR2 insulated canvas, there’s no condensation dripping down inside during cold weather.

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks Dave!! That is exactly what I was looking for.

DaveI

You’re welcome.

And, as for traveling and travel covers, I found leaving the back-to-back seats setup in the shelter works well when folding up, too. The framework and canvas rests on the seats and you can still access inside the sled when it’s folded up. Canvas Craft has extra deep travel covers as well. You can tell here that the 1st sled is a bit taller and has the back-to-back seats left in place when traveling and the 2nd shorter sled does not. Both ways work out well.

kooty
    Keymaster

That poor wheeler.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i will second these houses, I have both an ultra wide flip over style and an 8×8 suitcase style, both with the norpac material. the only problem i have had was i got water inside the material after spending 3 days on red lake. they are really warm to the point of no heater needed! when i was on red i went through 1 20# tank, when with my old otter house i went through 3 20# tanks so the added propane saveings will more then pa for them if you like to stay warm. I even went out and bought a 11# tank just to use in the ultra wide. I would strongly recomend these houses to anyone who is looking for a new house

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

One morte comment on the Norpac material. This weekend I noticed how dirty the inside walls are getting on my suitcase style house. I’m sure its because the material comes in contact with the wet & dirty floor when the house is packed up for travel. Would never notice it with the standard dark colored canvas but the white Norpac material shows the dirt. I bought a small window squeegee and plan to pack it along to get the melted snow off the floor before tear down.

walleyefever
    Fairmont Mn

It may also be coming from the poles.I have that in my frabill.I really would not ever want to be without an insulated portable.Dont miss the dripping water from the frosted up ceiling.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave you are correct, I’ve fish out of other house for many years, that Norpac sure make a differants,it sure folds nice in sub-zero weather. I got the double flip magnum also, when you only have 1 sled and 2 guys, I get around fast than when I fish by my self in a small house, and splitting gas and bait helps out on the buget..You just gotta see one..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.