Goldenrod Grubs

• Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Does anybody use these for panfish thru the ice? How do you store them? When is the best time to pick them? I was walking around an old farm field the other day and they were filthy and I remembered a time many years ago ice fishing with my dad and an older fella next to us was using them and he was having a field day and we could hardly entice a nibble on a waxie. Any info or advice concerning them would be great.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Keep them in saw dust the same as you would keep your waxies or leave them in the stem and take them out as you need them. Get them now before the birds do.

show148802

Ok, not trying to be the acme of foolishness, but what are goldenrod grubs?

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Thanks Bret. Do you use them on the backwaters much? How well do they work? I know they are quite a bit smaller than a waxie, so I suppose it might take a couple on a jig to cover the hook.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

There are times they work great on the back waters. When the gills get real finicky try to down size everything, that includes the bait. They are just big enough to cover the point on a jig. As you mentioned, you can double them up also.
    I like using waxies when the fish have the feed bag on early ice and use the the Golden Rod grub later in the ice season when things tend to slow down.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I collect the balls when I am deer hunting and simply dump them into a 5 gallon pail. When I go fishing I’ll toss 3 dozen in a baggie and take them along. If I don’t use them they go back in the pail.

As mentioned, they are dynamite gill baits at times.

timmy

I was told by an old-timer – and I never tested the theory – that it is best to pick them and keep them as-is until use. Do not open the bulbs until fishing time. I pick a batch of them in the fall – and keep them in an open container so air can get to them in the uninsulated shed. As mentioned earlier, take a bunch on a trip – open as needed, and return the rest. They can be dynamite on certain days.

Tim

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I was told by an old-timer – and I never tested the theory – that it is best to pick them and keep them as-is until use. Do not open the bulbs until fishing time.

It is the best way to store them. I like to take 20 or so out of the bulb before leaving in the morning. It is much easier to do in the warmth of a house than it is sitting on the ice slicing bulbs with cold fingers. And if the bite is happening, I don’t want to be screwing around trying to get grubs out of bulbs. It is much faster to get grubs out of a tin helping get your bait back in the water quicker.

These are just my thoughts, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with taking the bulbs out on the ice with you

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

BEST WAY TO STORE THEM!!!

Store them in the freezer after removing them from the bulb. Doesn’t matter what you put them in. Sounds strange, just give it a try. When they thaw, they will come to life. My dad and I used to pick them religously every fall when I was a kid. I still do occasionally. They say that the height of the bulb can tell you how much snow we will get.

pop

THEY WILL LAST A LONG TIME IN THE FREEZER IN A SMALL CONTAINER WITH CORNMEAL. DOESN’T TAKE MUCH, 1/4 INCH OR SO.
    THE ONLY BAIT WE USED WHEN I WAS A KID.

rainman2
    metro area

This is the way I was taught to use them and store them. My dad used to put on a waxie and then tip it with a golden rod. I don’t know if this was a fluke, but he used to out fish everybody around. He wouldn’t even fish with out them.

We would put them in the freezer and when you needed some, put however many you planned on using in boiling water and they would turn snow white, dry them off on a paper towel and you were good to go. It would also toughen them up so they would stay on your hook longer too.

TRY IT!

Rainman

superdave
    NE IA

Who here has sliced there thumb to the bone trying to extract those little devils…

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Who here has sliced there thumb to the bone trying to extract those little devils…

Like I said, I do them in the house now

catmando
    wis

Me and i have the scar to prove it. me i will stick with spikes or waxies. way to dangerous for me.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

We would put them in the freezer and when you needed some, put however many you planned on using in boiling water and they would turn snow white, dry them off on a paper towel and you were good to go. It would also toughen them up so they would stay on your hook longer too.

TRY IT!

They might not even be bad on your pizza . Just put some in your parmesan shaker and put it in the freezer.

timmy

Quote:

Not me, nope, never……….disregard the fishing hole littered with opened goldenrod bulbs and blood on the ice…..

Tim

schlankki
    otsego, mn

YOU GUYS JUST ANSWERED EVER QUESTION I HAD THANKS MY QUESTION IS HOW CAN I GET MAY FLY LARVA AND WERE .THANKS THE ICE CANT COME SOON ENOUGH

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.