Lake of the Woods ice conditions?

• millelacsjumbos
    Minnesota

I’m planning on heading up to Lake of the Woods this weekend. I’ve never been up there but I’m going with my cousin who has been up there a few times. He says there is practically no nite bite, have you all found the same thing? Also, we are planning on taking my permanant house up there, hows the ice looking? Will we be able to drive our truck out there?

timmy

There IS a night bite up there – just not for walleyes……..you like ‘pout?

Tim

mikem
    SE Minnesota

Just spoke with my Dad who is on his way back from there.He said about 12in. of ice.They caught 21 fish with 3 guys in 1-1/2 days out of a rental.Someone else can probably provide more info.

birddog
    Mn.

Not sure on the ice conditions, gotta be close to vehicle traffic if it isn’t already?? As far as the night bite goes, don’t bother! The best bite is daylight hours. Once the sun starts setting you’ll see the bite tail off, once that starts pack up and go sit in the tavern. The days/nights I’ve done a sleeper up there I think we caught 1 or 2 walleyes on the rattle wheels, pretty desolate, but the pout, that’s a different story!

BIRDDOG

chrossa
    Arcadia, WI

I don’t know about Lake of the Woods but on Eagle Lake the best bite I see is the last hour of the day right befor dark. Onse its dark it’s over.

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

Hello from Wigwam…

We haven’t had any full size vehicles out there yet and probably won’t this week…We got some mild weather.

The ice we have is fine but if you are going out through Four Mile Bay ask about the crack before you do…

We have had some trouble with it this year..

BTW the fishing is great

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Heck Yea !! There is one heck of a nite bite at the Wigwam !!

I believe the last time I was up there the Capt’n took a good bithe out of me

Wigwam Resort Nite Life ROCKS !!!

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

Went out to zippel bay thurs. 24fow got a nice limt with a nice 24. Cant take trucks out yet. they are transporting. Or you can use cats or whelers. fishing has been best mornings or right before sun down. its been cool at night so ice is coming we have aroud 9 to 12 inches. The river has a nice bite right before sun down. good luck all,and check with resorts before venturing out on unfimluar ice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.