TUCR

• BBKK
    IA

Was just browsing their website and noticed some nice changes since last year! Nice to see the company moving forward at a fast rate!

Now, I’m looking for a rod for this year… and this is going to be a lot of money to spend for me so I want to make sure I get the right rod for what I need.

I’m looking for a rod for 1/16 slender spoons, small demon jigging spoons, #8 and #6 ratso, and other small yet not micro jigs. Target fish are going to be crappie and largemouth, with some accidental bluegill mixed in I’m sure. 1/16 slender would be the biggest lure used, I don’t use anything bigger than that since we don’t have perch or eyes here.

I used my precision noodle for this last year and it just didnt feel right. Pucker factor was high when a 15-16″ bass had a hold of my lure with the PN and its micro soft tip.

Now.. do I want another noodle, a precision, or a quick tip? Looking at 32″ length, like my PN. Used inside and out.

I would like to feel the bite, but also see the tip move if I’m wearing heavy gloves.

Suggestions? $100 is A LOT for me to spend on an ice rod.. so I’m saving pennies now so I can pick it up when we get ice (around Christmas).

chirp
    Rochester

Call and talk to the guys. They will be the best help for you. I know when I got mine they sure helped me pick what I needed. Couldn’t be happier.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Kevin22,

This is a great question. For what you are doing I would recommend a Quicktip rod. It is a slightly more powerful noodle in carbon fiber.

Being carbon fiber it is going to be more sensitive with smaller jigs. This rod was designed to be a feel rod vs. the noodle being a visual rod. I really love the noodle for the sight bite, but the QuickTip will fit this perfectly. It will handle a little larger profile jigs with more Precision than the Noodle.

The backbone on the Quicktip is really where the rod shines. It has a very strong backbone and a very fine tip. The tip is soft enough to act like a noodle giving a little on a bite.

Feel free to call me with any more questions as well.

Thank you.

Aquaholic
    WI

Just the info I was looking for as well. Hoping to stop by and see you guys at the ice show.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hey John,
    What would be a good “inbetween” rod for crappies and walleye. Thinking about stopping by an ordering a rod from you guys at the big show.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Kevin22,

This is a great question. For what you are doing I would recommend a Quicktip rod. It is a slightly more powerful noodle in carbon fiber.

Being carbon fiber it is going to be more sensitive with smaller jigs. This rod was designed to be a feel rod vs. the noodle being a visual rod. I really love the noodle for the sight bite, but the QuickTip will fit this perfectly. It will handle a little larger profile jigs with more Precision than the Noodle.

The backbone on the Quicktip is really where the rod shines. It has a very strong backbone and a very fine tip. The tip is soft enough to act like a noodle giving a little on a bite.

Thank you.

John,

Will your rods be discounted at the show? What would be the best rod for pannies the precision noodle? I want to be able to see the bite. Do you have anything comparable to the tripwire by Thorne Bors or Pantom by DH Custom?

Thanks

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin22,

Thank you.

John,

Will your rods be discounted at the show? What would be the best rod for pannies the precision noodle? I want to be able to see the bite. Do you have anything comparable to the tripwire by Thorne Bors or Pantom by DH Custom?

Thanks

Nutz:

I don’t mean to butt-in, and I know John will answer all your questions and then some, but I wanted to point out that the coolest part of these rods are that you can customize them to your liking.

If there are parts of the Tripwire or Phantom you like, have John and Adam craft it from scratch to your exacting specifications. With the handle, grips, guides, and threads you want. Make it the exact length you please as well!

Also, along those lines, they’re making a Panfish ‘Tweener rod for me that’s a Precision Noodle with some of the noodle chopped off. The result will be a rod that handles tungsten or heavier jigs well without being overloaded, as well as lighter jigs, without losing the visual bite detection of the original Precision Noodle blank.

How did we get there? I literally went into the shop, and they started cutting down a 32″ precision noodle in 1/4″ increments until it felt right. Ridiculous? Yes, and no. In the end, we found the perfect length and feel which corresponded to my needs.

After that experience, I can promise you that there’s few to no ideas you can dream up, that they can’t transform into a rod.

Joel

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Thanks Joel,

That kind of answers my question, it looks like it’s time to give a call and see what we can come up with. I also have a precision noodle that was cut down just a bit for the exact same reason, not much but with the full noodle it was more than what I wanted in that rod. Now I’m looking for something for the really light jigs like the Titanium spring at the end.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Thanks guys.

Yes we can do a lot to a rod to tweak it. Joel’s idea are like many people who ice fish, who just want something a little tweaked.

As far as a rods similar to a TripWire, we have a lot of different rods that will work very well in that application.

As far a inbetween rod for walleye and crappies I would go with a Precision. It is very good for walleyes and does well for crappies as a feel bite rod.

We are going to do something for the show.

The best way to order a rod is call us, email us, text us, just clarifying all questions before you get your rod. Then you will get a rod you feel confident in and will enjoy.

Thank you.

BBKK
    IA

Seriously? text to order a rod? You HAVE to be the only rod company that sells rods by text. That is pretty darn cool.

Will you be doing on-ice delivery anytime soon? text to order a rod and have it delivered to the shack.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Yes actually I took two last night.
    We have customer of all ages. Texting for some people is much easier than emailing or calling.

We are a different rod company. I have been building for a long time and truly love it.

We have done some on the ice deliveries as well. Local lakes only.

Never feel bad about calling after 6 either. That is usually the best time to get a hold of me.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

Seriously? text to order a rod? You HAVE to be the only rod company that sells rods by text. That is pretty darn cool.

Will you be doing on-ice delivery anytime soon? text to order a rod and have it delivered to the shack.

Doesn’t Brad Hawthorne already get that service?

tucrs
    NW Metro

Quote:

Quote:

LOL!

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Quote:

only when he throws rods and bust the tips off

mn-z
    Stark, MN

I just bought a QT yesterday. Can’t wait to try it out!!!!

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I just want to say what a pleasure it is to deal with all the guys (and gals) at TUCR. Swamped as they were, John and his staff still took the time to answer all my questions last night when I stopped in to pick up my 2nd custom rod. Congrats on your success, guys!

Tony Do
    Lakewood, CO

Quote:

Was just browsing their website and noticed some nice changes since last year! Nice to see the company moving forward at a fast rate!

Now, I’m looking for a rod for this year… and this is going to be a lot of money to spend for me so I want to make sure I get the right rod for what I need.

I’m looking for a rod for 1/16 slender spoons, small demon jigging spoons, #8 and #6 ratso, and other small yet not micro jigs. Target fish are going to be crappie and largemouth, with some accidental bluegill mixed in I’m sure. 1/16 slender would be the biggest lure used, I don’t use anything bigger than that since we don’t have perch or eyes here.

I used my precision noodle for this last year and it just didnt feel right. Pucker factor was high when a 15-16″ bass had a hold of my lure with the PN and its micro soft tip.

Now.. do I want another noodle, a precision, or a quick tip? Looking at 32″ length, like my PN. Used inside and out.

I would like to feel the bite, but also see the tip move if I’m wearing heavy gloves.

Suggestions? $100 is A LOT for me to spend on an ice rod.. so I’m saving pennies now so I can pick it up when we get ice (around Christmas).

i got my precision rod a month ago, and took it on two ice trips already and about to go on my third (i live in colorado). and it is super sweet! i was able to feel the finikie bites of a 5″ brookie. but felt super sweet on a 15″ kokannee salmon. but reading this, it makes me want a QT so bad…..

Bryan Myers

I couldn’t wait to try out my QT after I got it this fall. I had to take it out in the boat and get it broken in on some gills!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.