Yet Another Multiplier Ice Reel

• artifishal

Eagle Claw came out with a brand new ice reel for the upcoming season. It looks pretty sweet, can’t wait to get my hands on one of these reels at such a great value point ($29.99)

Here is a picture of the new Inline Ice Reel…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Price tag says $49. Where can you get them for $29 or was that a typo?

artifishal

I found this image on a different website, but when I was at Gander MTN. they were being sold for $29.99, seems like a pretty decent reel for the price!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

What gander were you at, the one in EC doesn’t have much of anything out as of last week.

artifishal

Woodbury Gander MTN is the one I was referring. They have a pretty solid selection of gear and tackle out on the floor right now. May I have to swing by there sometime this week and start checking items off the pre-hardwater list.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Is this reel ambidextrous? This is a very intriguing reel for the price, I already have a new Frabill 421 fly reel but would definitely interested in one of these if the reel side is interchangeable because I’m a lefty.

artifishal

The reel is actually a left handed reel, so you’d be set with that. I played with a little in the store, but I didn’t look at it all that much in fine detail. I’m guessing you would be able to swap the sides of the reel, but I would have to head back to Gander to check it out in more detail…

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

The reel is actually a left handed reel, so you’d be set with that. I played with a little in the store, but I didn’t look at it all that much in fine detail. I’m guessing you would be able to swap the sides of the reel, but I would have to head back to Gander to check it out in more detail…

I heard of a guy on another forum who was able to switch it to right hand retrieve. You have to take it apart and reverse the one-way bearing.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I took the last one in a box. The display model was still there and the dept mgr thought he had more stored someplace so definitely ask. Looking like more reel that the black beauty in my opinion and I held them side by side. The eagle claw has drag and push button release. It’s made for light line. I plan on building a panfish rig with it and see how I like these kind of reels.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

What is the weight of the reel? How much retrieve do you get per crank?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

5.36 ounces. 15.75 inches per crank.

They recommend 4 lb test optimal however I’m planning to use 2 or 3 lb.

My biggest issue right now is these types of reels dont move the line back and forth across the spool. Wont that create an issue with it piling up on the spool?

SunnyFishin

That’s because the Black Betty and this are two different reels. The Black Betty is a die-cast aluminum reel, built to be solid and last a life time. Simple cork tension drag operation, 1:1.

The BB 6061 is a similar style reel, but nowhere near the same as this Eagle Claw.

The Eagle Claw is a plastic raft reel, no different. The BB 6061 is an ice reel, big difference. Similar style chassis but completely different guts.

One has no instant anti reverse, no line out alarm (only bait clicker), half the free spool, no carbon drag system, is not made of 6061-T6 aluminum, etc.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Here’s the rig I put together for panfish. If it holds up it should be nice. I’m excited to see this style of reel evolve. I would need similar features over a plain fly-reel style (current BB) to be interested. Otherwise I’ll stick with spinning reels.

Stihl21
    Colorado

Eagle Claw factory store in CO has them going for $15 right now because they are without a box and can’t be sent to retailers. They are going fast though. They can be shipped if you call and place an order.

DAN J

I picked up 2 of these today at the Lakeville G.M.
    They looked pretty good for 29.95. Changed one to right hand retrieve by reversing the one way bushing.That worked fine. The problem I have with them is they seem to be mostly plastic. The box states Graphite.The star drag is just a star wheel that tightens down on the shaft, no fiber
    or cork drag disk of any kind. I put line on one and put it on a rod.The drag sucks. I will be taking them back.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

I’m a lefty.

Just hold the rod upside down like the guys from Iowa.

That was directed at my buddy the Packer fan from Sioux City.

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

The old saying still goes- ” ya get what ya pay for!” The only items I like from Eagle Claw are their hooks.I have a 13 Fish Multiplier on order from Dean here on the Forum.$99 for a reel is expensive but nothing any of us do in these Sports are cheap! Hope the rel works out for you if you don’t decide to take it back.

DAN J

Maybe I spoke to soon. After looking them over again I decided to lube them up with hot sauce and see what I could do about making the drag smother.Put some hot sauce grease in the star drag.that smooooth it out pretty good. Think I’ll play with them,can always give them to my brother in law for xmas.

SunnyFishin

Almost forgot to mention the biggest problem with using a raft reel off shelf in plastic…they didn’t take out the spool holes.

You’d do yourself good Suzuki by taping up the spool face.

Water inside of a gear housing, freezing weather…I could think of more pleasant things.

Those little holes on the spool drain right into the gear housing. You get any kind of water in there…well I’m sure frozen gears are fun.

DAN J

It’s very easy to change it over to retrieve cranking right handed. Take the free spool knob and spring off,remove the lock plate,screw,nut,handle,star drag,drag washer.remeber how they go back together.Pop out the bearing,you might have to tap on the back of the reel to get it to come out.Then tap out the inner sleave for the one way bushing. Take a paper clip and make a small bend in one end and use it as a hook. Slide that down the shaft and hook the one way bushing and pull it out. Flip it over and put back in. Thats it. Put it back together,you did lay all the parts out in the order you took them apart right.

Keith Fischer

Got 2 ordered direct from Eagle Claw, $15 a piece. For that
    price I couldn’t pass them up. I’m quite sure they won’t be
    anything like the BB 6061 but for the money why not?

ekruger01

Quote:

Got 2 ordered direct from Eagle Claw, $15 a piece. For that
    price I couldn’t pass them up. I’m quite sure they won’t be
    anything like the BB 6061 but for the money why not?

\

Same here supposedly the guy said I took the last two. these, then my 6061, and a a pair of 241’s and I will be giving a head to head run down on them this winter! Now I need some new rods to pair them with!

jim-uran
    Mahnomen County, Mn

I saw a huge pile of these at a store up my way… didn’t even open the box to look at them. Now i’m kicking myself in the butt, I should have picked one up.

Keith Fischer

Got the 2 Eagle Claw inline reels this morning, I’d say they
    are well worth $30 and for $15 I’m very happy. I like the
    design and I think the BB6061 will be another to put on the
    list. Drag and free spool seem quite smooth, doubt they’d
    hold up to extreme use but for Crappy & Gills should do well.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

…for Crappy & Gills should do well.

That’s all I need to know!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

That’s all I have planned for them. BTW I couldnt find them on the Eagle Claw website?

Also I bought the floor model at Gander Woodbury yesterday and they said they only have 2 more on order due in two weeks so these may end up being very difficult to find over the winter.

Keith Fischer

Quote:

Quote:

That’s all I have planned for them. BTW I couldnt find them on the Eagle Claw website?

Also I bought the floor model at Gander Woodbury yesterday and they said they only have 2 more on order due in two weeks so these may end up being very difficult to find over the winter.

They were never listed under products, you had to call, they
    are sold out. You may still find them in stores.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I tried Frabill’s multiplier at Fleet Farm and no thanks. Way to heavy. I don’t like how the spool is cased in housing where you can’t touch the reel. I understand that with a multiplier, that is needed. I am not holding something that heavy for panfish.

I didn’t mind their other one or the Dave Genz one. I liked the gap from the extended reel foot on the Genz, but preferred the smoothness of the Frabill.

For what I plan on using them for, I don’t think a multiplier will be necessary. Deeper water I am falling back to a spinning reel anyway.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.