Ice Reports in Wisconsin?

• MichiganFisherman21
    Grand Rapids, Michigan

I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan (Southern Michigan) and there is not ice here yet or anywhere else in Michigan that I’ve heard. I was planning on going to Wisconsin this weekend to find some ice but I have no idea where to go and I do not want to drive more than 8 hours away (Max north west distance Eau Claire, Max north Rhinelander). I’d like find a trophy or atleast good lake for walleye or perch if possible. Can You please point me to some good waters in Wisconsin with safe ice.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I think you are going to have a tough time being this early. The traditional walleye lakes in the southern half of WI may or may not be safe this weekend. We had a good start on ice, then a warm up Saturday and Sunday with Rain on Sunday messed up things

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Lucas you could try the Lake Altoona area which is the Eau Claire vicinity. Good crappie & perch but you should probably call some bait shops in that area first for some ice conditions. Reports for thickness are all over the place right now. Finding a reliable source up there will be key.

Dirtyocean
    Bloomington, MN

Any reports in the Danbury, Webster, Siren area?

Bryan Myers

I know people were fishing on Altoona last week but I haven’t heard or had time to check it after the rain we had last weekend.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I would call kurts island in Minocqua they would best the latest reports for rhinelander.

I put up the latest report from Kurt’s just a moment ago… I am fan of having people come to my area to fish!!! We have one of the best areas to fish in the U.S. according to Field and Stream from a few years ago and it hasn’t gotten worse. But I am not a big fan of traveling so far and might have you consider the Madison area…

Last I heard Koshkonong had frozen, there were guys on Mud Lake on the Madison chain. Kosh has good ‘eye fishing, but is a tough nut to crack and I am not sure anything in the Madison area has solid enough ice to attack.

I might consider contacting Randy Weiland, Joel Ballweg, Jeff Bennett or Adam Rasmussen. Randy is a frequent contributor and fishes the southern part of the state up to the Wolf R. I have fished with him up here and he is obsessed with getting his clients fish. Joel fishes Lake Wisconsin, Jeff Bennett fishes from there over to the Winnebago area & Adam has a report up on the front page in the upper left. He would have great knowledge of ice fishable waters in the central part of the state. My brother has open water fished with Joel and considers it to have been a bvery valuable day of learning and catching walleyes and saugers.

Mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.