Heaters

• 4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Witch one puts out more heat, Big Buddy or heater cooker? I know the btu’s on both but what heats better in the real world?

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I would ask what type would work better for you instead of focusing on BTU’s. For instance, what are you using it in?

I would say if it will only be used in a portable and you are one who banks their house and doesn’t move much then I would lean towards the Big Buddy. If you move often and don’t bank after each move then I would lean towards the cooker. The reasoning behind this is the Big Buddy can’t take much wind or air movement or it will blow out. The cooker on the other hand can be used outside and is a lot more tolerant to a breeze.

I use a big buddy and move often but take the time to bank the portable each time. I bought the Buddy because I like how quiet it is and will trade that for a little extra banking. It’s kind of funny when you are out with a big buddy and can hear the conversation in the portable next to you because they are talking loud over the cooker heater.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

In my opinion, the Heater/Cooker (aka Sunflower) puts out more heat, probably because it does so more rapidly. For the way I fish, it’s what I keep coming back to. If you’re fishing primarily in the house, I think the big buddy is a great heater, but I typically don’t unless the weather/wind is brutal. That said, when I do come in, I’m freezing and I need to warm up. The heater/cooker sunflower has it’s downfalls, as it’ll burn anything within yards of it, and I’ve replaced enough thermocouples I could do it in my sleep, but it pushes tons of heat really quick.

Joel

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

As I understand it, the sunflower style heaters do not have a CO2 sensor so should not be used inside an enclosure.
    The Buddy series of heaters do have a sensor and will shut off when unsafe levels of CO2 are detected. This is annoying for some but it’s better than being lulled into a sleep that you don’t wake up from.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Just keep a zipper opened slightly along with the vents and I’ve never had a problem running a Mr Heater Cooker in my shacks.

Mr Heater Cooker: 15,000 BTU
    Mr Heater Buddy: 9000 BTU
    Mr Heater Little Buddy: 3800 BTU

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I use to use the sunflower type of heater. About 4 years ago I got the buddy heater. For overall heat I’d say the Sunflower style. That being said I’ve haven’t burnt anything. Tent, lines, boots, pants, ect since I’ve got the buddy. The heat is mostly directed only out the front. I am able to back it right up to my House material without fear of burning it. That can not be said with the sunflower style. Those ate almost as hot out the backside as they are out the front. The lower BTU’s on the buddy also come in handy. I use to heat myself out even on real cold days on the lowest setting on the sunflower. Now I can turn it way down and not have to keep lighting and turning it off after a few minutes. It last almost twice as long on a 1Lb. tank as well.

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Just keep a zipper opened slightly along with the vents and I’ve never had a problem running a Mr Heater Cooker in my shacks.

Mr Heater Cooker: 15,000 BTU
    Mr Heater Buddy: 9000 BTU
    Mr Heater Little Buddy: 3800 BTU

Mr Heater Big Buddy 18,000 btu

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

My bad. Missed the “Big” word.

roger

the buddy heaters are the best day in and day out. sunflower are good heaters but a pia! the cookers are worse. too easy to burn stuff.

hamms
    Mn

Ive never burned anything with my heater/cooker I am with Joel on this one! I want heat now when I come into shack to fish or warm up. If I have my wife and kids with buddy heater it is… I pretty much set up everything and if I get a minute to fish myself lol I don’t want to worry about them with the heater. But the sunflower is in the tub no matter what never let me get cold yet…

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I think all the BTU’s listed are input not output. Douple check on their website. Two very different “sales tactics”.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have ran them both for years. they have different applications. Buddys are for a more “permanent” shack, in other words, one where you set up for half a day or more. Sunflowers/cookers are for a warming house. Somewhere you go to warm up because your out runnin’ and gunnin’. Cookers warm a shack fast and inconsistently, Buddy’s can be dialed to maintain a nice even temp. It’s what you want for your style. Also one costs $30 and one $99+ depending on size.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.