soaking fish in water and sea salt?????

• CRaiche
    Plymouth MN

I usually soak my fish in water and salt before going into the foodsaver bags. This time i tried sea salt and it made a slimy film on the fish….. weird! any thoughts???

Mike Stephens
    WI.

always rinse before freezing And welcome to IDO

damman
    Pepin county Wi

When I soak my fish in salt water they are a little slimmy also but usually a good rinsing takes it off. And welcome to IDO.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I’ve never soaked my fish in salt water. Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong?

Once my fish are cleaned and ready to freeze, I put them into a zip lock, fill with water and freeze.

tstatz
    wis

The reason to use salt is to create an isotonic solution that removes blood from your fillets.It can also be used prior to cooking.Good luck!

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Friend told me to soak fillets in 7 Up for 20-30 minutes before frying them. Might have to try it. ??

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Last time I cooked bluegills I soaked them in beer for 2 hours, then deep fried using frying Magic. Some said the fish was better than the prime rib we also had.

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

Soaking yourself in beer first for a couple hours usually makes most everything taste much better.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-Depth Outdoors I-Raiche!!!

Check your private message, flashing envelope in upper right hand corner.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Why would you put a freshwater fish in sea salt?

Rinse, pack and freeze. (Get the air out and you will be fine)

Dog

hnd

i used to do this as well….took forever to thaw….i know use the ziplock freezer bags that comes with what looks like a ball pump. it works great. not as great as a foodsaver but alot better than the water technique. if you have a lot of fish you keep, space in my freezer and deepfreeze gets scarce…this has helped tremendously.

i also salt and water the river fish i keep here.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.