Your Opinion on Snow Tires for a Suburban

• oldrat
    Upper Midwest

I have B.F. Goodrich AT’s right now.. and while they are fine for the highway.. THey just don’t seem to be the best in ice and snow..

I would like your opinions of Snow tires for a Suburban or Tahoe or a Big Pickup..

KirtH
    Lakeville

I am REALLY happy with my Bridgestone 695, awesome traction in snow. I did a search on Tire Rack and read reviews there

Glenn Marshall
    Global

I’ve had Coopers on my last two. They are great, wear like iron, ride nice and the traction is awesome.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m suprised All- Terrain TA’s are bad on snow for you. Those are fairly aggressive without being too lound on pavement. More aggressive will usually mean louder on highway. Here is a site you can compare them all. I just found this last week. Good info. I like how they never rate all terrains high in snow. Truth be told the best snow tires are purpose built with soft matarial and mean owning at least two sets of tires/wheels. http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Cooper-Discoverer-stt.htm

That Cooper Discoverer STT that comes up first on my link has been getting a lot of attention lately on the off road sites. It sounds like what you are looking for.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I’ve had Coopers on my last two. They are great, wear like iron, ride nice and the traction is awesome.

I have Coopers also, great tires.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

last winter my chevy silvy needed tires. i was on a budget and tried the nitto grappler AT’s from discount tire.

i think they were around $120 a tire, which for trucks is somewhat cheap. they’ve lasted a while and held up well. im pleased with them. i wouldnt hesitate to get them again.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

I have the Goodyear wrangler at’s on a 03′ Z71 Suburban. I like them for both highway and have worked great in the snow and off road. BUT, I’ve had two blowouts on newer tires on the highway after they’ve been running for hours. Don’t know if they got hot after 5-6 hours of driving or what. I’m planning on changing tire company’s on the new set. my 2 cents.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My last 5 or 6 sets of truck tires have been Michilin LTX M/S. Very happy with them. I drive through fields, farm lanes while trapping and get right on the road and go. I’ve averaged about 60K per set with rotation every 8-10K miles and hard use.

igotone

Quote:

My last 5 or 6 sets of truck tires have been Michilin LTX M/S. Very happy with them. I drive through fields, farm lanes while trapping and get right on the road and go. I’ve averaged about 60K per set with rotation every 8-10K miles and hard use.

I 2 have had a set of these Michilin LTX. Mine are the A/T’s

They are an LT type tire not a P type. I believe.

LT type being harder sidewells. Mine too have and are doing good

Will go to SAMS and get my next set when needed and hope they still carry them. They were 762.14 with lifetime road hazard, flat repair, balance & rotation every 6000-8000 miles

Bassn Dan

I’ve been real happy with the Firestone Destination A/T’s on my Silverado. Quiet, good ride, great traction in winter, and they’re fairly reasonably priced. My mechanic recommended them and they also get great marks at TireRack.com Survey Results

Dan

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Not sure if they come in the right size for a Suburban but I have had 3 sets of Firestone Transforce on my 99 f-350. I had just put a new set for the ford then ended up trading it in and I made the dealership switch tires out and put them on the 2005 3/4 ton silverado I picked up back in Oct. I have been really happy with tire life and traction.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

I have always run Kumho all terrains.Good for snow mud or highway.A little louder than some for the highway but still like them.A couple years ago had an oops and came over a hill to fast and the entire road had blown in about 2 ft deep for 1/2 mile ahead of me with no way to stop in time..kept up the rpms and they road over and through the whole drift.Saved a lot of scooping.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Check out the General Grabber AT II’s. very affordable, excellent traction, and a 60k mile warranty. We love them!

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I just loved General Grabbers also for my old sub. I picked them up at Sam’s Club. They were awesome in the winter and quiet during the summer. My only drawback is they were good 2 year tires then not so good after that, seemed soft! Hated the Goodyear Wranglers that came from the factory in the winter, summer OK, lasted 70K though.

Ferny

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was gonna mention that yesterday Ferny. Glad you chimed in. I have heard a lot of good things about the Grabbers the last couple of years. Innexpensive yet aggressive. Sounds like they may not last as long and you get what you pay for but a “cheap to get into” all terrain.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I’m on my third set of Goodyear Wrangler RTS on my Yukon XL (2001 with 165,000 miles) and have been extrememly happy. I had them on my previous 2 Ford pick-ups as well.

Mike

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.