Question Of The Day..

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

If a company has a product on the market and then some time later they introduce a NEW and IMPROVED model of the same product..

Here is my question.

Why is that the OLD version which is not as good as the new product still on the market ?

Wouldn’t you think people would want the NEW and IMPROVED version and then would be no need for the OLD version ?

Ok.. so I am BORED !!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d have to say that a lot of products are actually built based on a price range more than anything. So the improved version may cost more in some situations creating another model and price range.

I replied, therefore I’m bored too.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

You need to go fishing Trumar

bullcans
    Northfield MN

its s marketing piece
    people want change and will buy into it!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

A few reasons. One, many people will be die-hard for the original and not accept change. In their mind, that is the best thing on the market and will never seriously look at the new version.

I know you stated “improved”, but too often IMPROVED refers to the profit margin. Manufactures will find a way to build a specific product cheaper in a manor that the general public won’t realize. An example of this is fishing reels. You bought a pair of Reel X in 2006 and loved them. 2009 rolls around and you buy 2 more Reel Xs because how much you loved the originals. 6 months of use later you realize that they weren’t the same quality as the originals – WTH They found that a loyal customer would spend the same amount of money, and they could produce the reel for $8.00 cheaper by using a cheaper bearing and more nylon parts. Not bad improvement to profit $8.00 X how many thousand reels.

Marketing for the “one-up” feature. They can charge more for the newer version and have a lessor product at a cheaper price point. Either way, they capture the sale and have a revenue stream…

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Easy: consumers will buy whatever they think will give them an edge and its no more evident than the very commercialized world we call the outdoors.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

It’s like this; When Bk makes a post, it’s probabaly good But give him 5 min to think of a snappy comeback to his own joke, and now the origional post becomes “New and Improved”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Takes longer then 5 minutes for me to come up with a snappy response.

Candy bars/food.

Candy bar X starts out at 4 ounces for $1.

The company starts to drop the size, not much but a little over a year or so…at some point it’s down the 3.5 ounces..still for a buck.

Then the size is moved back up to the original size but the price is now $1.25 with a “NEW LARGER SIZE” on the label.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

It would appear that several posters here condem the basic principles of a retail business which is to seek a profit. If everyone feels that the profit they depict is gained by fraud and not good business sense, then the obvious answer is to decline to buy the product and move on instead of beating the sales pitch over the head. How do we decide which service which is sold to the fishing community is a fraud? The seller has the right to value his product as he feels fit, and the buyer has the right to declare that the product unworthy for the cost. The seller goes out of business because he can’t sell the product and the buyer goes shopping ” Never be the first to discard the old nor the first to pick up the new.”

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Brian I don’t understand the

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Takes longer then 5 minutes for me to come up with a snappy response.

Candy bars/food.

Candy bar X starts out at 4 ounces for $1.

The company starts to drop the size, not much but a little over a year or so…at some point it’s down the 3.5 ounces..still for a buck.

Then the size is moved back up to the original size but the price is now $1.25 with a “NEW LARGER SIZE” on the label.

Oh but wait!

If you order in the next 15 minutes we will double your order! You only pay a little extra for the shipping and handling.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.