Smoked Catfish ?

• bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

I would like to try smoking some catfish this year. Do you guys leave skin on or skin off for smoking cat,and do you fillet or chunk it out? Do you use a brine before smoking and what do you use? Any tips would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rick

herb
    6ft under

Skin it, it will form a second skin during the smoking process. Leave it whole, unless it’s more than 4 or 5 lbs. Skin it, cut the head off, and gut it, and wash it. Soak in brine 18 to 24 hours then rinse. Smoke it slow. You want smoked fish not baked.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

If they are small enough skin them and leave them whole. Make sure you bleed them out while they are still alive be cutting the gills or tail off. Personally I think Sheepheads taste better smoked.

stuart
    Mn.

Small cats undedr 3 lbs work best.Remove head and guts,warsh them good.

For every gallon of water add….
    1 cup DARK brown sugar
    1 1/4 cup pickling salt
    1 onion chopped
    1 clove garlic chopped
    Brine at least 24 hrs and up to 48 hrs
    Use a fruit wood for smoking.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I got a question on this, What smoker temp and how long or at what internal fish temp do you look for?
    Does this brine work for all fish?
    Even Salmon?

stuart
    Mn.

Brine works good on all fish and can be adjusted with spices to your taste.I like to smoke fish at 160 to 180.
    They are done when the feel kind of rubbery when you bend them.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Is 160 to 180 the cabinet temp? what would be the internal fish temp or for how long do you leave them in the smoker? I would wory of drying them out too much.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

Is 160 to 180 the cabinet temp? what would be the internal fish temp or for how long do you leave them in the smoker? I would wory of drying them out too much.

Smoker temp.I have never taken a internal temp.Time depends on how full the smoker is,how big the fish are ect…

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Catfish is great smoked and it looks like everyone has it covered for tips.

From Jeff

chomps
    Sioux City IA

i leave the skin on and about 3-4 hours is all it takes,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.