Female Pup Name Help

• rivy2112
    Minnesota

It looks like I’ll be getting a new Fox Red lab in the near future. I originally wanted Shelby for years, up until a somewhat close acquaintance took that name for their yellow lab, now I’m somewhat torn. More than likely I would never hunt with that person or dog, but it kind of stole my thunder, as funny as it sounds.

I have spent quite a few hours researching female names, and what I would prefer is to not get a typical name. Something unique but that would sound good when yelling out over a field or a swamp.

Thanks for the help!

rivy2112
    Minnesota

Also, my father’s and brother-in-law’s dogs are named Bristol and Tallie (short for Talladega) so I would prefer something that doesn’t sound too similar to those.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

If we had picked a female instead of the male we picked we were going to name her Teal since my son is so much into duck hunting.

Good luck with the new pup

Dave

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Shiloh or Sierra

rivy2112
    Minnesota

I do like the name Teal as I am a bigger duck hunter and that will be her main objective.

I have not had any time with the dog yet, so I think that would also be a good idea to spend some time with her.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

“Happy”

sktrwx2200

There are alot more cool/hunting related names for male dogs… I didn’t want your standard female dog names- Maggie, Abbie, Molly, Polly, Jessie……..

So I thought of NOVA.. after my first shotgun … And My next female will be LUNA..

Everyone really likes those names and your sure don’t hear of them on other dogs.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My 3-year old wants to name our next dog “Tree Star”. rotflol I still haven’t figured out where he came up with that…and I told him no, so you can have that name. You’re welcome.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

ZOEY. That is the name of my wife’s dog, should carry well. I should say that the wife’s dog is a Morkie, so maybe not a strong enough name for a hunting dog, but we like it.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Just making stuff up but DOWNY or DABBY has a duck flavor.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

A while back when learning to train my lab for waterfowl retrieving, I read that it is best to use a single syllable name for dogs for the reason that the dog “hears” it better in the field. I have been saving a name for a new pup but you are welcome to use it…”Truck”. Others I am fond of (and may break that single syllable rule) are: Lacy, Joey, China, Ginger and Butt Munch. (OK, that last one not so much).

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

If we had picked a female instead of the male we picked we were going to name her Teal since my son is so much into duck hunting.

Good luck with the new pup

Dave

…Teal. I like that name. That would be my vote….Be careful with names starting with the letter S. A lot names starting with S sound to much like commands that you be using. Like SIT and STAY etc. …rrr

tswoboda

I do like the name Teal as I am a bigger duck hunter and that will be her main objective.

I have not had any time with the dog yet, so I think that would also be a good idea to spend some time with her.

If she’s going to be a hunter, I have to warn against picking a name that is a word commonly used while in the field.

My buddy named his dog Drake… Poor thing gets confused hearing his name every time a flock of ducks is working us. Something you could run into with the name Teal.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Beretta, usually shouted as “Bretta”. It’s suited a couple of my female GWPs well enough.

jerry b
    western WI

Murphy- – -as in Murphy Brown

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Just named our new pup Willow…it’s growing on me. She knows it well, and responds just as well-when she wants to. Curse the pups who are smarter than their owners! -)

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

My last Vizsla as named Reba. Worked well. I like two syllable names because most commands are one syllable. Example: sit, stay, whoa ,down, off, etc. One 2 syllable command I teach my dogs is: leave it. Comes in handy when sniffing and picking up something that they should not have.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

We ended up with a male lab and named him Ruger, I wanted Sig and lost out on that. A dog trainer had told me to NOT name a dog with a name longer than 2 syllables as that is about all they can comprehend

For females we had
    Sako
    Astra
    Larue
    Puma
    Rossi
    Tikka

rivy2112
    Minnesota

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Pick her up on 12/12…I posted a pic of her in Dogs of IDO thread if you wanna peek.

The wife and I kind of like the name Luna, but I still think I might wait until I’ve had her for a day or two to figure out her personality before I title her.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Sam or Sammie

LenH
    Wisconsin

Ginger or maybe Nasty

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

We got a dog recently and named her “Gerty”
    This is our fourth dog and this is by far my favorite name, not sure why,just rolls off the tongue well and I’ve never heard it used before.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

This is what I did for my dogs name. Took my heritage and looked up female names. Also narrow the search to the first letter of the name.
    For me in order to regester my dog with
    Large Munsterlander Association of America I had to use the letter A for she was the first litter.
    I came with a danish name Almeta (meaning “A pearl” in danish)Al for short.
    I thought it a clever way to find a name and it fits perfectly.

mattgroff

My dogs names. All labs
    Mesa
    Char
    Scanner
    Avery
    Haven
    And haven is pregnant and I may name my next dog spur.

mattgroff

I also helped name my brothers dog. Autumn (red lab)

And helped my brother inlaw name there yellow. Willow.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Getting a pup this time of year, that’d be easy for me – Auger. Been wanting Augie the doggie myself but my wife says a pup in a condo will have to wait until I retire.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.