Federal Fusion Rifle Ammo

• deertracker

What are the thoughts on this round for deer in 150 grain? Would be nice to hear from people that have used it. I can’t find my favorite ammo anywhere and this is one of two .270wsm rounds sold in Alexandria. The other is Core Lok’t but I don’t want to shoot that.

Fisherpaul

I shoot it through my .308 I like, it works very well.

deertracker

I had normally used 150 grain ballistic silver tips. I found a nearby town with 140 grain Winchester AccuBond. I might have to go with that as it will be the closet to what Im shooting now and hoping my gun will like it the same as what I shoot now.
    I think I will have to start reloading next year as I’m getting sick of trying to find wsm ammo in my area.
    DT

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I used to shoot the Federal Fusion ammo in my .270 and really had nothing bad to say about it. The last few years I have been used the Hornady Superformance SST ballistic tips with good success. My oldest was shooting some of the Hornady American Whitetail ammo last year and that grouped well in his 7MM Rem Mag.

I know that ammo can be tough to find as a friend of mine shot that and swore by it but also swore at it when he could not get it anywhere.

Good luck,
    Dave

Brian Offerdahl

I shoot a .243 rifle and hunt only with Federal Fusion. I have been very happy with the results. I stopped shooting Remington Core Lok’t after I had a bullet break apart which left little lead pieces in a bunch of the meat. I have retrieved 2 of the Fusion bullets from deer, and they were fully expanded and completely intact. I won’t hunt with any other bullet after the success I have had with the Fusion bullets.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Why don’t you want to try core lokt? One of the most time tested and effectiive bullets the world has ever seen.

Grouse

deertracker

I had run some through my son’s .243. I had noticed that in one box some of the bullets were seated at different depths. I also found a few different kinds of primers used throughout a box. I also don’t like how fragile the lead tip is. It is probably just a mind thing but I feel that affects the accuracy.
    DT

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I shoot a 7mm WSM. I have had troubled finding ammo for this gun. I now order direct from Cabelas. I shoot the Winchester Power Max bonded 150 grain. Best knock down and penetration I have found. I too shot the silver tips for a bit but didn’t get nearly the penetration needed for close range shots.

Brandon

The price differrnce between core lokt and fusion isnt that bad. Try both and see. In my 300 win mag the core lokt is cheapest so I shoot that for target. Gun is dead on with it. I’ve shot $60 a box stuff and it’s not any more accurate than the $25 stuff If I was going ou west on an $8000 elk hunt I might go with something more fancy. But other than that.

Pete S

Just picked up a box 270 150 grn. My cousin has been using them for a few years and has had tremendous luck with them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m using them in my 30-06. 180 grain. Haven’t shot a deer with them yet but shot them well at the range today.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in 270WSM that I bought new/unshot from a guy that included all his ammo in the deal. He had one box of Core Lokts so when I went to shoot it for the first time I figured I’d use that up, because I’m not the world’s biggest Core Lokt fan either. To my surprise, I was able to lock into the bullseye and it’s now THE most accurate rifle in my stable. That gun LOVES the stuff! So, without even trying the “fancy” ammo, I went and bought another box of Core Lokts. How do you argue with results???

I just shot some Fusion 165gr through a .308win this past weekend and truthfully, I wasn’t impressed with the grouping. Would a deer still be dead out to 200yds? Most likely but when I aim on a spot, I want to hit that spot.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

At the ranges I hunt I am more interested in knockdown power than accuracy so hopefully I find out this year how they perform.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.