Mercury 9.9 4-stroke vs. yamaha’s

• theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Maybe I had bad information, but I was under the impression that Yamaha and Mercury 9.9 4-strokes are the same, both built by Yamaha. Priced a Mercury today and the dealer told me that this is not correct. He has one on a boat somebody else is buying but doesn’t want the kicker. Has tilt and trim, controls that would set up by my 90’s controls. Wants $1900 and another $150 to install it. What do you think?

evileye
    Milan Il

I just bought a merc 9.9 four stroke at starks last week its a manual long shaft for $1550.00, I wa told the same thing as you,part of both are Merc and part yamaha I have fished with both and like the shifter location better on the yamaha ,but the merc was a lot cheeper

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

The motors below 25 hp come in from over seas. At the factory they install there accessories.

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

I think the heads are the same or at least they were, but now Mercury is making their own. The part I am wondering about is Mercury usuing Yamaha parts in the head?

ted-merdan

If you are considering 9.9 hp 4-strokes from both, do yourself a favor and look at the T8 from Yamaha – model# T8PLHC. Hands down the best kicker motor on the market. High thrust, electric start, built in Power tilt, forward mounted shift lever, light weight, never needs to be strapped down and a motor that actually idles at its slowest speed.

Here’s a great site to buy http://www.boats.net – some of the best pricing out there!

ted

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Merc and Yamaha share 4 stroke technology. They may have different lower units. AS far as price differnces Mercury and Yamaha are different companies.

Now for the $64,000 question…Did you know Merc and Mariner are excactly the same except for paint?

OK..call me a smart [censored]

SDGauger
    NULL

The way I understand it per onlineoutboards.com Tohatsu makes Nissan and Merc under 20 hp

castle-rock-clown

I bought a Coleman 9.9 fourstroke and added a high thrust four blade prop. Total cost $880.00 runs great. Mills Fleet Farm.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Not bad for a OP post from 2004.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.