Rear Vantage Trolling Motor – 36 or 24 Volt?

• Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Some background –

I’ll be mounting it on a 2006 Lund 1900 Pro V SE. It’s got a 24V 75# Motorguide Wireless on the front. I’m not a troller, I pull bouncers from time to time, and I like to crawl around with Lindy rigs, but I mostly use the electrics for boat control on our seemingly always windy lakes. I want the rear troller to be able to back into the wind and hover/slip structures, as well as for trolling on those occasions when it’s needed.

I’m not interested in mounting a kicker, so I’m looking for the rear electric to cover off at least some of that area.

Given that, I’ve decided on the Minn Kota Vantage transom mount, my question now is, 24V 80# or 36V 101#?

The difference in cost between the motors themselves is minimal, but I’ll have to add a battery, possibly upgrade my 3 bank charger to a 4 bank, and do the installation so the front 24V would still work. I’m not sure how to do this, whether my Lund is rigged for it, or if it’s even possible.

I guess my question is, is the extra power from the 36V model worth going to all the hassle and expense? I’m definitely leaning toward the 24V model simply due to cost and ease of install.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Waxy

ted-merdan

After running both 24 and 36V systems, my suggestion is to go with the 24V for a year for all the reasons you listed. It’s a simple install and see if it works for your style of fishing. If you want to upgrade, there are always 24V Vantages sold online here.

Good luck!

ted

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I would not hassel with adding another battery, or changing onboard chargers. You will get plenty of power/boat control with a 24 volt Vantage.
    My 2 cents worth.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Your going to love it…

You are going to want to take your time and make sure the 24 volt system is hooked up correctly many a people have fried their Vantage Boards doing things incorrectly.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I would go with the 24V motor.

The 36V is overkill and a hassle.

Minnkota motors are faster than motorguide. I run a 73# motorguide now as a transom mount and I only get 3 mph out of my 16.5 boat… I would probably get the same out of a 20′ boat with the motorguide. I got 5 mph on the same boat out of a Minnkota #65 thrust motor I had previous to this motor, and way better battery life. I could go as slow as I wanted with either motor, but the Minnkota was a way better motor overall. The motorguide cost less in the beginning, but you will soon be upset when a replacement prop cost $40 or more, and if it has the steel shaft it will bend the 1st time you bump anything.

You wont be disappointed with a Vantage. As Pier Bridge said, be very careful wiring them up. One of the positive leads is 24V(runs motor), the other lead is 12V(runs trim).

The only way I could see a motor over 100# is if you are running in heavy current all the time, or the electric is your primary source of propelling the boat.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Great info, and exactly what I wanted to hear!

Thanks all,

Waxy

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Don Hanson has a 80# Vector for sale at a very good price

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I had a 24 V Vantage on my old boat & have a 36 V on the new one. In your case I would stay with the 24 volt for ease and price. Give it a whirl. Unless you are trying to slip in some very strong current I would think the 24V would suffice.

I absolutley love mine!

bigroy
    Winona, MN

Can anyone here tell me which color wire is what? as I have bought a 24v vantage
    used and I did not get a manual. was I glad to see this post before I installed. any help would be great.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Don Hanson has a 80# Vector for sale at a very good price

I noticed that earlier… it will be replacing my motoguide tomorrow

Bigroy… There should be something online that can give you the info you need.

Otherwise give Motor Clinic a call in Bloomington, they are the area warranty center here and should be able to help you out. 952-881-0898

Wade here at Jolly Ann Marine might also be able to help. He also has great deals on NEW trolling motors that cant be beat. Motor Clinic usually has some reconditioned units with warranty sitting there also which can save a few bucks.

bigroy
    Winona, MN

Thanks Dave thats why this web site rocks. because of
    members like you.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

The Yellow wire is 12 volt very important to hook this wire to the Postive terminal of the Negative battery feeding your 24 volt motor, if you hook it up to the wrong battery you will melt your trolling motor board.

Black is Negative, Orange or red is 24 volt.

Your talking the bare wires coming from the trolling motor right? If there is a Trolling Motor Plug & Receptacle installed it changes things.

In-line fuses would be advised in this application also.

bigroy
    Winona, MN

Thanks PierBridge I have been looking on the net with no luck. thought I might have to call somebody. I was planning on putting a plug and receptacle on it. what kind of changes does that call for? thanks for the heads up on which wire is 12v.

fishing vet
    Blaine, MN

I would always go with the most power that you can, and in your case it looks like a 24 volt is the best situation. There is no souch thing as overkill if your big motor ever takes a dump.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

I was planning on putting a plug and receptacle on it. what kind of changes does that call for?

The colors of the wires on the Plug and receptacle will be different from your Vantage in my case the Plug came already on the Vantage, I bought the Receptacle New and installed it on my boat so in my case all 3 had different colored wires.

So my Vantage has a Yellow 12 volt wire, black negative, orange/red for the 24 volt power.

Here is is my Vantage wired to the plug that came with the TM.

Yellow 12 volt to Pink or faded red wire.

Black to black.

Red or faded orange 24 Volt to Orange.

Then I bought the 3 prong female receptacle for my boat.

Orange, Pink, black.

Next diagram is a 24 volt 3 wire system that shows you how to wire the Receptacle on your boat again make sure 12 volt power comes from the Negative battery that feeds your trolling motor battery #2 in the diagram. “if you have a 3rd battery running just 12 volts you could use that also”

I took my time and used a volt meter to make sure I had 24 volts and 12 volts going to and coming out of the correct places I highly recommend this if possible.

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

PierBridge,

Excellent post! Thanks!

Waxy

bigroy
    Winona, MN

WOW I can’t Thank you Enough PierBridge! great illustration this will be all I Need to do it right.
    i bought my vantage off of ebay a couple of months ago.
    never got around to wiring it up because of the extra wire.
    sent an e-mail to minnkota about getting some documentation they never got back to me.
    then this post thanks to waxy for the original post. thanks alot i owe you guys one

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

UPDATE –

I found a like new used 36V Vantage for a price I couldn’t pass up.

I’m not familiar with the Lund set up, and my boat is 400 miles away, is the Lund set up for the 3rd trolling motor battery?

Will not having the starter battery connected to the 3 bank charger be a problem? Does the engine have an alternator to charge that battery anyway?

Thanks,

Waxy

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Another update –

The seller (Bob Johnston) flaked out on me.

I would love to find one for sale somewhere along the I29 from KC to Fargo, or anywhere in ND, especially between Fargo, Bismarck and Minot.

I’ve called pretty much every dealer on Minn Kota’s list along the way, and no one has one in stock, not even Gander Mountain. I didn’t see that coming. Order time is 1-4 days, but no one wants to guarantee it, and I can’t take that chance. I’d love to find a used one anyway.

I have family travelling that route this weekend, so cash and carry could be arranged.

Thanks,

Waxy

nick
    Lakeville, MN

The best place to get a minnkota http://www.jollyannsales.com/trolling%20motors/minn_kota_vantage.htm

Trust me Wade can get one as quick as anyone else can, never seen anything less the 100% totally satisfied customers. Save youself the hassle and cost of shipping and lugging it around, dropped at you door for no additional charge.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.