How to test onboard charger??

• jesse
    mn

Wondering if there is a way to test my on board charger? Just not sure if it is working properly or not. The batteries are new this year and are the Cabelas AGM brand. Seems like one battery is charging fine, but the other battery does not seem to charge all the way. Checked the batteries with a volt meter one battery is 12 volts and the other 11 volts. Thanks in advance for the help!!

shane huskey
    holmen wi

i would check the batteries out first. take the boat to an Advanced or the like and have them load tested. then check to see what voltage is being put out on the charger. they should be similar. i think 13vdc or so, but dont quote me. your charger should have a book that would tell you what it should output.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote:

Wondering if there is a way to test my on board charger? Just not sure if it is working properly or not. The batteries are new this year and are the Cabelas AGM brand. Seems like one battery is charging fine,

I assume that you have a two bank charger and that your question is to see how to determine if the onboard charger is working properly. What I would do is just switch the charger connection from one battery to the other. That should be able to give you a good idea on if one bank is not-working properly.
    If you questions is in regards to more the battery, I would bring it to Interstate, Advance, etc…

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Dan,

You are a very smart guy

Matt

jesse
    mn

Thanks for the help guys! It is a three bank charger with one unplugged? I switched the third to the second thinking that I might have a bad bank? Seems to be charged now.
    The battery meters at 12.63 volts

akockelm
    Metro MN

I just installed a 3 bank charger and haven’t hooked up the starting battery yet. The instructions said to NOT leave the 3rd lead unattached. I had to basically hook up 2 sets of leads to one battery and one set to the other. Check your manual to be sure, as I’m sure they vary from one type of charger to another.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.