2001 Suburban Rear Shocks

• trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Time to replace rear shocks on my 2001 Yukon XL (same as suburban) after 140K miles – doesn’t have automatic leveling air shocks, but am a bit surprised at the price NAPA quoted – over $280 each and they weren’t really sure what the right shock was….

This truck/SUV has coil springs so I understand the need for heavier shocks, but am looking for suggestions for brand and model of replacement shocks. I’m guessing someone has some good suggestions on this.

Thanks
    Pete

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The price quoted to you was with Z55 suspension. w/o Z55 they run $50-$80 each.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Does your Yukon have the really big wide (Nivomat) shocks on the rear, which is the premium ride suspension with self leveling shocks(not the Autoride air system)? If so, there is no cheap replacement. If that’s the case and you want to run standard size shocks you will also need to buy new springs with different weight ratings. Billstein makes a specific spring for this application ( See here ), but you may be able to get tham at NAPA as well. If you don’t buy the new springs and just put regular shocks in the rear will sit lower (with no load) than what it currently is and will handle poorly, especially when towing.

I’m in the same boat with my 01′ Suburban…..not sure what I am going to do.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Research it well. I went with Bilstein shocks and springs for the rear of my Tahoe a few years ago and the new setup kept bottoming out. I worked with Bilstein and they ended up refunding my money and I put the originals back in. A lot less miles than you currently have.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

Research it well. I went with Bilstein shocks and springs for the rear of my Tahoe a few years ago and the new setup kept bottoming out. I worked with Bilstein and they ended up refunding my money and I put the originals back in. A lot less miles than you currently have.

Any chance you remember what springs you went with? I have not heard that from the people who have installed this setup.

I am at 143k on mine…and might just start with doing the front.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont and no paperwork. Sorry. I am currently in a similar predicament with my pickup. GMC with factory adjustable shocks. Nobody ANYWHERE can definitively tell me what I can replace them with and I just want standard Bilsteins.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.