420-Pound Buck Was Killed On Game Farm

• Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

This picture has been circulating all over the internet claiming it was a 420 lb buck. According to Field and Stream, it is a legit photo and buck. However, it was killed on a high fenced game farm.

February 09, 2010
    Field & Stream

Hurteau: 420-Pound Buck Was Killed On Game Farm

Seen this horse yet? It’s the latest mystery monster making the rounds (or maybe its second or third round) in cyberspace. Depending on which source you reference, the buck pictured was killed in Maine or maybe in Ontario and weighs 400, no 414, no 440 pounds. The resounding question is: “Is this photo for real?” After a little poking around and a couple of dead ends, I wound up on the phone with Shorty Flees of Wisconsin’s Wilderness Whitetails Game Farm and Preserve.

“Yes, it is a legitimate buck. I mean, we are a high-fence operation—I want to be clear about that–but this is a real buck,” said Shorty. “It was taken last September and weighed 420 pounds live-weight–the heaviest deer that’s ever been shot on our place. In fact, your readers can go on our website and watch the video of the hunt.

“Our client hunted this deer for 11 days. We’d had very warm weather and this buck just would leave his bed in a cedar swamp during the day. But it finally cooled off, and the hunter caught the buck making its way from the swamp to a food plot. He was so pumped, he just went nuts. He was kissing the deer.”

Last fall, Wilderness Whitetails clients shot 38 bucks over 200 inches, including one 340-incher. Now, whether or not you call high-fence hunting “hunting” is a separate question, which you’re welcome to address in your comments. (Would you take a free hunt at Wilderness Whitetails?). But the answer to the question so many people seem to be asking is yes, the photo is for real.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

MY Goodness, take a look at some of the bucks they have.. HOw is it even possible that a 1.5 year old can grow a rack in the 190s? and a 2.5 at 359?? They got Mark McGuire teaching them how to eat?? ahh, I’m not starting anything , just don’t understand.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Not a hunt for me.

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Not a hunt for me.

Me either some of those buck horns were so big they could hardly get there nose to the ground to eat

shednut
    22 feet up

I’d decline the chance to hunt it even if it was free, I just don’t see the fun in “hunting” livestock. I would however love to shed hunt their pens….like pickin sheds from a barrel

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

What in the world! I just watched the video and those deer aren’t right. I’m assuming they must be doing something or feeding them something that making their racks so abnormal. Some of them are so screwed up they can’t be natural. Did you see that poor deer after 7 minutes that can’t even hold its own head up. Something sure doesn’t seem right with those deer.

mossyoak
    UP Michigan

Quote:

Not a hunt for me.

LynnBelc

i can not locate this video on the website can you help me find it? ty

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

i can not locate this video on the website can you help me find it? ty

Just click the wilderness whitetail link above in Preiser’s post above and the video shows up.

And WELCOME TO IDO! Glad to have you here!

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I didn’t watch the video but have seen them before. There should be better laws about fenced in “wild animals” because ethics isn’t cutting it. How did Buffalo county get everybody on the same page as far as qdm? This type of crap would not even be appealing to anyone if there were more places like Buffalo around the midwest.

gobbler
    Central, MN

makes me sick watching the buck that died from infection. he can’t even keep his head up. that is no way to live

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

someone should post a link to that hunt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.