Deep Weedline Bass

• Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I was able to sneak in some fishing over Labor Day weekend. I took the kayak out to a lake I haven’t been on in 10 years. The water was quite clear so the shallows were choked out with weeds. The DNR was actually out spraying Milfoil that same day. I found a deep weedline where the fish were stacked up and was able to pick them apart with a Drop Shot and a Deep Crankbait.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looks like a fun way to fish.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

In the summer – early fall the Pike + Tiger Musky often lurk off the the deep weeds and 1st drop-off at (10 to 20)’. Meanwhile a lot of fisherman target LMBass in the shallows looking for little opening in the heavy cover. I don’t get nearly as many bass as they do since I’m not targeting bass. But the ones I catch off the deep weeds and drop-off are generally bigger ~ 3 to 5 lbs.
    I think there’s amble bait and the the big bass feel safe out amongst the toothy critters. At least at Conesus Lake.
    BTW I’ve been seeing more people fishing from the Kayaks this year than ever before.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Usually late summer when I’m targeting bass I stick out deep because if you can find a school, they quality will be nice. I feel like when I fish shallow I get quantity over quality. You might have a hard time finding them out deep but if you can find a school, you can whack em!

I bought that kayak 4 years ago and rigged it out with a fish finder, anchor, rod holders, etc. I would rarely see someone on the water fishing from a kayak but I would agree, it’s really taken off these last few years. Minnesota is a good place for kayak fishing with all the small lakes that are tough to get into with larger boats.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.