St. Croix Ice Thickness

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

As we all know the ice gets pretty thick around Bayport in the winter and vehicle traffic is common all the way across the water. My question is does anyone ever see vehicles cross the river just across and north of Afton where the water is even wider than Bayport? I was out there on my sled Sat but refused to cross. My buddy did it several times but with no other tracks in the snow I wouldn’t. I did ride on a plowed road for a ways in that area on the Wis side so obviously it gets thick near the shore but what about the middle and the Minnesota side? I’m not looking for someone to say it is safe just wondering if it was common like Bayport or if the ice in that are is notoriously unsafe.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I was just wondering about that myself! The only thing I could come up with was access. You can’t really get there safely from Hudson and it’s not safe from Afton either. Troy is inbetween but gated off. On the MN side, I don’t know what’s accessible for this area. I have seen icers get out there but wondered if these are people with private access. the ice on “the lake” looks solid every year once you get past the point south of Beanies………..but rarely did I see anyone out there.

Personally, I wouldn’t be too intimidated by this area, but only in comparison to it’s north and south boundaries. For peace of mind, maybe it’d be worth a walk and just drill some holes here and there and see what you find? Of course, take a buddy and keep some distance between.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Don’t take this personal…but you guys are nuts!

I have access to my daughters snowmobil and access to the river in Afton. What a great place to ride sled…hmmm not much traffice either (?). I know some do it…but then some…well you know.

From fishing in the summer, I know there’s currant where (some) people wouldn’t expect it.

Your choice to try it out. Please let me know what colors and floweres you like in case you don’t make it back….

Fine! Call me Beach Chicken!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Oh come on Brian. Let’s go swimming!
    Actually kid there is a boat landing down there and it is open. My friend has taken me to it a few times. It is for local residents only so you can’t park there in the summer unless you live nearby but you can certainly access the river there now. Like I said there was a plowed road that headed upstream for I think a 1/2 mile. I didn’t follow it to the end. This is a good spot to fish in summer so maybe it would be good now? At least now you can drive onto the river and park legally. I’m not giving exact directions as I’m sure someone is probably going to be pissed I even mentioned it. No big deal though since none of us can use it most of the year.

has
    Hudson, WI

Suzuki,
    I drove out of that launch last year. Headed towards the sunken islands, then i got scared and headed back. Last year there was a couple trucks at the sunken islands. I DON’T recomend doing it, as i’ve seen my fair share of ice-fisherman in the water, in the Afton area.

JBUSCH
    Hastings,MN

I fish a couple areas south of catfish and south of there.Its a lot more narrow and more tricky than the area you are talking about.I cannot report on your area but we have checked ice in years past and nothing ever stays consistant.You can find 12-18 inces of ice in one area and move 20 feet away and have 6-8 if not open water.with all the snow I would not try any new areas now,I would like to say its much better up there but sorry I dont know.I do know that most the current is up in the top half of your depth if not the top 8-10 feet,works like a thermo-clin(my spelling sucks)and can move from 5 ft down to 20 ft down and also work vertically and will move in and out from shore.Thats usually where I have my best luck with eyes.The problem is that variation in the bottom structure will make a huge difference and will draw warmer water into that current and keep thin in areas.Wish I knew more about the hudson area but I stick to afton and south trying to learn as much as I can.I am on my way out now Hope I dont get stuck in that snow

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Suzuki…about that PM…I just can’t bring myself to imply that some people are just as thick headed as the thick ice on the Croix…

Unkown area + Unknown currants = walleyes….WRONG!

So if I try to warn people to stay off the ice in these areas….does that make me an “ice hugger” or a “people hugger”?

has
    Hudson, WI

Ice Hugger here. I know this area, about as good as a guy can. And for the sake of the members of this site, I can safely say the risk isn’t worth it. Uncharted waters, doesn’t ensure that there is an over abundance of fish in these give areas. It means that the ice is probably unsafe for travel. People that know me, would say that I seldom back down. Sometime you gota know when to fold’em. This is one of those times.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Speaking of knowing you Ice Hugger….do you remember how to fish? You can’t fish with two boards attached to your legs!

JBUSCH
    Hastings,MN

WOW, Im wondering if I should even post any reply to questions asked anymore.
    The question asked was about the ice and not if it was safe.Anyone who read my reply should get the idea it is not safe and worth exploring.Im just giving an answer to the question.I spend 2-4 nights a week where I fish and olny seen one other person out there in the last three years.So am I worried about people taking over my area or unsafe areas.No I am trying to give people the information they asked for.
    About the eyes-current that holds year round not just the hardwater season but take it as you will just trying to help and give info

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Mr. J. Rod!
    Don’t take it personal.
    I have a lot of respect for Has, Turk, Mike T and others who know the river in both the summer and winter. In fact, if I would trust their judgement if I were to go on the ice with them…BUT, this board is seen by many…I would hate to have someone read one of the posts above and go out there (blind). Maybe I’m not giving people in general enough credit. Don’t know.

But again, none of the posts above were to attack anyone…heck, I’m not even a moderator…(not that moderators attack anyone) .just a conserned schmuck, that doesn’t want to have someone read a post and try to drive from Windmill Marina to the Catfish Bar…ok, I’m going a little overboard…because it’s all open water there!

Ok?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My original question was just to find out if that area was used and since I cannot view it on a regular basis I was looking for someone who does. I can see the Bayport area is used and and I can see the boundries of that area. Same goes for Prescot. Had it not just snowed a foot I would have probably seen the signs of heavy use had they exisited. Personaly I access ice based on my experience and intellect. They haven’t failed me yet and I doubt they ever will. On a politicaly correct note for the “less experienced” folks out there who might read our threads I will end with saying ICE IS NEVER SAFE. (except in a windsor/7)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.