MN DNR – Treble Hook >>Legal<<

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

From an email from the MN DNR…

There is a new rule and here is our (MN DNR) attempt at explaining it for the 2012 fishing regulations:

· Single Tackle Configuration. Anglers may use up to three single or multiple hooks on a line used as a single tackle configuration attached to the end of a fishing line (Examples – crawler harness, quick-strike rig) ). Note: a single tackle configuration cannot be used on designated trout streams and lakes.

o The total length of the single tackle configuration must be nine inches or less

o Anglers may use live, artificial, preserved, or dead bait that is lawful to use (see pages 11-12).

o A single tackle configuration is not considered an artificial fly or lure.

Let us know if you have questions.

Sincerely,

DNR Information Center

500 Lafayette Rd

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

651-296-6157

1-888-646-6367

I asked when this took effect?

“It took effect November 1, 2011. I don’t recall seeing any news release about it, but it should probably be announced sometime soon.”

DNR Information Center

500 Lafayette Rd

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

651-296-6157

1-888-646-6367

************END OF EMAIL**********

AND KUDOS the Mr. or Ms DNR INFO!

I sent this email off this afternoon and had a response about 4pm…sent the follow up email and it was back to me DANG fast!

stevedobie
    Central, MN

So I am still confused. Can I use a trebal hook with a minow without a lure blade? Like a Hook, Line, Sinker, Bobber configuration. I know in the past this was a no no.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Can I use a trebal hook with a minow without a lure blade?

Short answer…yes!

They might need to work on the wording a bit yet. LOL!

fieds
    ottertail county

sooo my crawler harness has to be 9 inches or less??? not happenin.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

So, if I understand you correctly, this now makes a crawler harness having three trebble hooks on it (spaced not to exceed 9 inches) – legal now in MN. Correct?
    Or am I missing something????

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

this now makes a crawler harness having three trebble hooks on it (spaced not to exceed 9 inches) – legal now in MN. Correct?

Yep, definitely need to work on the wording of this.

Not correct- Must be 3 single hooks for a worm harness.

The following is the actual law the way it’s written:

Subp. 6. Angling tackle

A. An angler may have up to three single or multiple hooks on a line used as a single tackle configuration attached to the end of a fishing line. The total configuration from the first hook to the last hook must be nine inches or less. Live, artificial, preserved, or dead bait is allowed. This configuration is not considered an artificial bait or fly.

B. An angler may have one additional single or multiple hook on a line as part of and artificial bait as long s it is within three inches of the artificial bait. (Stinger Hooks)

C. Talks about not being allowed on trout streams.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Since worm harnesses were totally illegal before, using a 9 incher now isn’t going to make a difference for some.

stevedobie
    Central, MN

Wow… Thank you for the reply.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Since worm harnesses were totally illegal before, using a 9 incher now isn’t going to make a difference for some.

Quote:

A. An angler may have up to three single or multiple hooks on a line used as a single tackle configuration attached to the end of a fishing line. The total configuration from the first hook to the last hook must be nine inches or less.

the leader can be as long as you like. its only the hooks that cannot be more than 9 inches apart.

thats how i read it anyways.

on another note – does this now mean we can use a dubuque rig legally??

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

its only the hooks that cannot be more than 9 inches apart.

I was sitting here wondering if I should google crawler lenghts. I thought crawlers can’t be much over nine inches. LOL!

Quote:

does this now mean we can use a dubuque rig legally??

If your talking about a three way set up and replacing the weight with a hook/lure…I would say not unless it’s border waters. That would be the same as running two lines.

Time for a disclaimer!

I’m not with the DNR! Just my interpretation.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Honestly I have used a 2 hook harness with a 8/0 and a 6/0 6 inches away for years with no blades or beads for flatheads and the dnr has made me pull my rig out many a times to look at what I got on the end of my line and they have never said a word about it being illegal. I guess now I’m “legal”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve used stinger hook ever since Dad “invented” them out the bread bag wire ties too.

tipdown
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

There is a new rule and here is our (MN DNR) attempt at explaining it for the 2012 fishing regulations:

· Single Tackle Configuration. Anglers may use up to three single or multiple hooks on a line used as a single tackle configuration attached to the end of a fishing line (Examples – crawler harness, quick-strike rig) ). Note: a single tackle configuration cannot be used on designated trout streams and lakes.

o The total length of the single tackle configuration must be nine inches or less

o Anglers may use live, artificial, preserved, or dead bait that is lawful to use (see pages 11-12).

o A single tackle configuration is not considered an artificial fly or lure.

Let us know if you have questions.

Sincerely,
    DNR Information Center
    500 Lafayette Rd
    St. Paul, MN 55155-4040
    651-296-6157
    1-888-646-6367

I asked when this took effect?

“It took effect November 1, 2011. I don’t recall seeing any news release about it, but it should probably be announced sometime soon.”

DNR Information Center
    500 Lafayette Rd
    St. Paul, MN 55155-4040
    651-296-6157
    1-888-646-6367

AND KUDOS the Mr. or Ms DNR INFO!
    I sent this email off this afternoon and had a response about 4pm…sent the follow up email and it was back to me DANG fast!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My thoughts exactly.

The only question I have remaining is…what took so long?

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

So until now a double or triple hook crawler harness was illegal? People have been using that forever. As far as I can tell the only thing I see different is that a guy can use just a treble now and be legal.

Why dont they just do us all a favor and post pictures of what they call legal or illegal. Cause its obvious they have a damn robot writing the laws

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I did send a link to this thread to the DNR. It might help them with ironing out the confusion of the wording.

rangerski
    North Metro

To clarify, crawler harnesses were not illegal prior as long as there was a blade in front of rig.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It’d be nice if a Alabama rig was classified as “A single tackle configuration is not considered an artificial fly or lure”.

I am being facetious, but by this definition a crankbait would be illegal having 2 trebles (6 hooks)? Makes me wonder is there anything in the regs that addresses using crankbaits with multiple trebles?

I can be so difficult at times.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That is correct Rangerski. I wonder how many if any tickets were given out if there wasn’t a spinner.

Either way, no more nonsense in getting around the silly law.

Pug, stick baits follow the “lure” law. Like a stick bait, the worm harness becomes a “lure” with a spinner attached and was allowed to have more then one hook.

Ditto with stink or dip bait tubes.

Hey, I just fish here.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

What a coup. now Pug has two more hooks to not catch any fish from.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I wanted to say that but didn’t want to hurt his feelings any more then I have already.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Honestly I have used a 2 hook harness with a 8/0 and a 6/0 6 inches away for years with no blades or beads for flatheads and the dnr has made me pull my rig out many a times to look at what I got on the end of my line and they have never said a word about it being illegal

Can this set up be used for sturgeon?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

On border waters using one rod.

St Croixer and I did this a couple years ago. The hooks were a little further apart than 6 inches.

Unfortunately for St Croixer, it’s easy to forget about the second hook and he became my first and only (to date) guest hooking accident.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I catch hooks from fish?

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly I have used a 2 hook harness with a 8/0 and a 6/0 6 inches away for years with no blades or beads for flatheads and the dnr has made me pull my rig out many a times to look at what I got on the end of my line and they have never said a word about it being illegal

Can this set up be used for sturgeon?

Sure could but one hook is all you need for sturgy.
    It’s a little different when you have a 10 inch bully on compared to 5 crawlers and a fathead.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

How about two hooks below a threeway swivel,and your slip sinker above the swivel.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I was tying 2 hook stinger rigs to use heavy suckers and bullies this summer and the blade I added to make it “legal” was more trouble than it was worth. The blade and beads were always getting tangled. Finally Minnesota is taking some baby steps to having some sensible fishing regs. Now for the 2 rod rule on the rivers…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

How about two hooks below a threeway swivel,and your slip sinker above the swivel.

I’m guessing (which probably makes you wonder why I am bothering with a reply), but I think that the wording means all the hooks have to be attached to 1 line. So I think no.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bump for Sgt Rock.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.