what type of locators/finders do you use??

• Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

ok here come the questions?

what kind of locators/fish finders do you use and why. I am running a lowrance x37 on the consol, came with the boat, and a hummingbird fishfinder 565 on the bow. I have it wired and zip tied to the bottomo of the troling motor. never have tried that one yet on the trolling motor, installed it last weekend.

shane

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I run pinpoint 7520’s front and back. They are ran in-sync so I can read both at the same time on either the front or rear locator. They are old and probably outdated but in my mind they might be the best shallow water units out there. All I know is when they die I will have a lot of choices.
    I run a Lowrance GlobalMap 3500C GPS to get me back on my spots.

Ron

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am running a Hummingbird 595c gps/finder combo on the console and an Eagle 480 on the bow. I may be switching the Eagle to the MarCum this spring though.
    Nothing fancy or top brand, but all I care to see is depth when I am bass fishing.

shaley
    Milford IA

Eagle 1000 C on the dash Vexilar FL8 on the bow

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I agree as far as bass fishing..I have an eagle cuda, I picked it up for 89.99…The unit worked great, but is now done I don’t know what happened, one time it was working great, the next time it was toast. But I agree, for my bass fishing needs, I just need to see the bottom make up and drop offs and I’m set…The rest is putting your bait in the water

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Lowrance for graphs, I just don’t think they can be beat, I like the displays and how they show up on the graph, I think they have good controls and they do what you ask them to do, the Garmin I replaced would not give me the control I wanted, Lowrance will. I also think they do a good job giving a very good value for the money with great displays and the power they offer. Overall I just don’t like the looks of the other units (eagle not included, since they are pretty much the same units) I think there is a lot of personal preference, for a long time I disliked my x51, then I got the faith to turn off the auto functions, and it turned out to be a very good unit. Currently I have a Lowrance 111 on the dash and a 337 on the front.

That being said I took the flasher (lx3) off the front of my boat right now, and I plan on running my Lowrance 337 up front, the real test is if I actually end up keeping it on the bow or putting the flasher back on. I’m a diehard flasher guy, I have full confidence that what I see on a flasher I can read and hopefully catch, instant feedback that a flasher offers is nice. SO up until now I thought every good boat needed a graph and a flasher, but I’ll put it to the test this year, plus having the mapping up front on the bow will be nice for the guy (me) controlling the trolling motor.

The new side scan sonar hummingbird look pretty interesting too, but a little to spendy at this point to consider.

CentralBassman

Nick said it right they cant be beat, I also run a Lowrance and LOVE IT.. I run a 334 with the lakemaster chip. The color screens in a lowrance are the best and the customer service is great at lowrance. I wont have nothing but Lowrance one my new boat!!!!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Lowrance X65 in the back (came with the boat) and Vexilar FL8 flasher up front (used for ice fishing but works great for open water too). I just need to see the depth and maybe some weeds or a wingdam. I don’t usually stare at it trying to see fish.

Rootski

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I have started last fall using Humming Bird. I really like the graphics and features. They have mapping and Lake chip capatibility.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

I run an Eagle SeaCharter 480df, its basically the same thing as lowrance but a little bit cheaper, i think they make eagle units. gps, depth, and water temp is mainly what i use it for, works fine for me!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Lowrance 332c front and back. They tahe the chips and color is hard to beat. A bigger screen would be better but for the price I’ll stay with them.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Eric did you network your 2 332c’s? If so, any issues?

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Console = Lowrance X-19c, and a Lowance 1440 LCD Flasher
    Bow = Lowrance 1440 LCD Flasher

By April I’ll be running a new Humminbird though .

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Lowrance flasher on the dash and Lowrance X51 on the trolling motor using Minn Kota’s built in transducer.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I am now finally purchasing a Marcum puck transducer and I’m going to put it on my minnkota. Should be nice to get a reading while I’m up on the trolling motor. I just gotta figure out where I’m going to stand with a 6 ft deck and 10 rods on it + the Lx3 now

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Well, In last years boat I had a 332c in console and a 135 in bow. No network. I sold that boat and am getting the new one in March. They will be networked. So I can’t comment yet. I think I can put a chip in one and it will show on both right?

kizew
    Dallas, WI

That is the way I am understanding it Eric – and if you log a waypoint on one it stores on both – I will be doing the same thing so we will have to compare notes.

fluker

I have LCX 15MT’s front and back. They are networked together, but they only share the puck/signal. Waypoints are NOT shared.

With the new models (blue connectors) such as the 26’s, they also share waypoints when networked.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

You don’t need waypoints on the river anyways.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

You don’t need waypoints on the river anyways.

That’s what wingdams are for.

fluker

ERon, you’re right, b/c I don’t know where the heck I’m going anyway! Most of the time I’m lost as last years easter egg out there. )

Hey, shoot me an e-mail, I got a question for ya. thefluker at gmail dot com.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

on 9 i use waypoints all of the time…its hard to find your way around sometime, especially when the steam is rolling off the water on a cold morning!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.