Auger wars: Chipper vs. Chipper

• shamus
    Inactive

I’d like to buy a new ice auger this year and I’m sure about wanting a chipper blade auger. So I’m trying to decide between a Strikemaster and a Jiffy. The only auger I’ve used in the past was the Jiffy Pro4 and while I was happy with the speed of the cut I wasn’t happy with the weight of the unit (especially with a bad back). This is why I’m leaning toward either a Strikemaster Chipper Mag or Lite. I do wonder though how the Strikemaster chippers stack up to the Jiffy’s in terms of speed. Does anyone have any 1st hand experience with these units head to head? Speed of the Strikemaster Magnum vs. a Jiffy Pro4?

shamus
    Inactive

I guess when it comes right down to it these are the models I’m trying to decide between>>>>SM Chipper Mag or Chipper Lite vs. Jiffy Model 30XT or SD60i. I’m assuming the speed of these Jiffy models is similar to the PRO4.

In a perfect world I could demo these head to head myself, but that’s not possible now for obvious reasons. But even if the lakes were frozen I have no idea where in SE Wisconsin I could do it.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

If it were I … I would go with STRIKEMASTER….10 cc,$50 and only 1 lb difference between the 2 models.SO.. if I was buying a new auger and had the extra $$ I would go with the 42 cc and be done with it !

JMHO Jeff

shamus
    Inactive

Thanks Jeff, Yes I think you’re right that if I go with Strikemaster I should go with the Chipper Mag over the Chipper Lite. I guess I still would like to know if anyone has real world experience with the SM chipper models vs the Jiffy in terms of cut speed?

Travisroell
    West Bend, WI

I haven’t found a Jiffy that keeps up with my Strikemaster Mag and can out drill most 8″ with a 10″.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

If you are worried about cut speed with the 2 brands , I can only assume you drill ALOT of holes per outting..

Speed difference is only seconds between the 2 models not minutes!

I would still go with a Strikemaster of your choice, You WONT Be sorry you did !!

JMHO Jeff

hamms
    Mn

I’ve had the mag 2000 and bought laser bit for it on sale. Ran that for a while then bought jiffy stealth 8″ with 2 hp Tecumseh engine that was way faster then the strikemaster. It was heavier with metal handles but built to last. Both brands were reliable for me and I’m glad I ran both. Not sure about new jiffy models at all I sold jiffy also and run tanaka/nils now. Light and fast fits my needs much better chasing panfish my favorite auger by far. Closest thing to it was the strikemaster with 6″ laser. Good luck.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

I’ve owned both and I couldn’t tell any difference. Strikemaster was a great company when they were a small Big Lake company, now not so much. I would go Jiffy just because of that fact alone. Both are good machines and going with a chipper is a good choice.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

After looking over the lineup of new chipper style augers I was set in the new Strikemaster chipper mag with the 2 1/2hp, but after looking at the new Jiffy 4 stroke lite I was sold. No real reports yet, been using Lazers for many years also an old Jiffy tanker which has been bulletproof

shamus
    Inactive

Thanks for the help fellas…still undecided and I really wish I guy could just demo these things. If I were to go with Jiffy I think it would have to be the 4G Lite, but then you get into the whole 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke argument…ugh.

If you are worried about cut speed with the 2 brands , I can only assume you drill ALOT of holes per outting..

Speed difference is only seconds between the 2 models not minutes!

Thanks Jeff, that’s what I figured, but the only chipper bit Strikemaster that I’ve ever seen run in front of me was really old and it crawled. The only ones I’ve seen run on video were the Lazer bit Strikemasters so I justed wanted to be sure the chipper bit SM’s weren’t really that slow.

Both are good machines and going with a chipper is a good choice.

Thanks, yeah from what I’ve read it just seems like chippers aren’t as high maintenance and I was happy with the one I used to use.

After looking over the lineup of new chipper style augers I was set in the new Strikemaster chipper mag with the 2 1/2hp, but after looking at the new Jiffy 4 stroke lite I was sold. No real reports yet, been using Lazers for many years also an old Jiffy tanker which has been bulletproof

I’d really like to hear what you think of the 4G Lite when you get to run it. That’s the one I’d get if I decide to go with Jiffy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.