Asian Carp Found in Pool 2

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

In the St. Paul Pioneer Press this morning:

“Bighead and silver carp have been discovered in a portion of the Mississippi River above the Hastings dam, the farthest north they have been discovered in the river or its surrounding lakes.

Commercial fishermen contracted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources netted one each of the invasive species, including a 40-pound bighead and 20-pound silver carp.

The fish were caught near Cottage Grove on Thursday, in Pool 2 of the Mississippi, the DNR said. Pool 2 is the portion above the Hastings dam, extending to the Ford Dam in St. Paul, and includes the backwater lakes of Baldwin, River, Spring and Mooers, as well as the Grey Cloud slough.

Both fish were females that contained eggs, the DNR said.

The species are considered dangerous to the river’s ecosystem, because of their ability to grow up to 60 pounds, requiring large numbers of plankton and other fish to sustain themselves.

Bighead carp previously had not been found above the mouth of the St. Croix River near Prescott, Wis.; silver carp had never been detected north of a section of the Mississippi near Winona, Wis.

In a written statement, DNR regional fisheries manager Brad Parsons said the findings were “disappointing but not entirely unexpected,” noting that carp can migrate upstream during high-water conditions such as those that occurred this year.”

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I tried to add the link but it didn’t work. Hmmmm….

Ron S

Hmm lost 1st attempt to reply. This is sad. Looks like they can save the $$’s for carp barriers now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just wondering how many times there’s been a commercial net in P2 over the last 20 years?

I would bet besides the dnr’s data collection nets that are placed in the same location each year…none and none in this area.

Peel the layers of the onion before running to the caves.

As far as we know there could be a few in pool one for the last twenty years…

And they were “females with eggs”. That would imply that males with sperm would be better? Last I heard it took a male and a female to make a breeding population.

noting that carp can migrate upstream during high-water conditions such as those that occurred this year.”

This would assume they just arrived this year, over the last several months. I can’t prove they just arrived and the dnr can not prove they haven’t been here for 20 years.

What is does prove is that if we spend enough money and with 2 years of searching, we can find a couple.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

You guys on pool 4 are just jealous. Go get your own invasive species.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

( well this is truly sad and as mentioned, not really unexpected (

Besides the extremely high water, my personal view is this fish, any fish for that matter, can also ‘lock through’ along with the commercial barges and civilian pleasure boat craft.

Hope the commercial fisher netters can keep them in check (likely no chance of that!)

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Just wondering how many times there’s been a commercial net in P2 over the last 20 years?

Pretty much every year as long as I can remember.

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I find it more concerning on how the state will react to the fish being here than the DNR finding a couple in pool 2. Seems so far check points, road side stops, decontamination stations, limiting hours to accesses, closing down parts of the river is the states plan. Do not like where this seems to be going.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

When I catch one of those buggers, I’m taking it in and claiming the state record. Then I’m going to have it mounted and give to BK!

-J.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

When I catch one of those buggers, I’m taking it in and claiming the state record. Then I’m going to have it mounted and give to BK!

-J.

Good Idea & Good Luck!

I’m sure there are Bigger ones out there.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

(
    Hope the commercial fisher netters can keep them in check (likely no chance of that!)

Well every time they net one…it is only 1. So they must be doing a good job of controlling them. Either that or they are horrible commercial fishermen, since silver carp are a schooling fish.

I am beginning to think they just keep using the same ones and refreeze them in between. Heck, there aren’t even any pictures, so they might just be making it up once a year.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have to wonder if they didn’t find a couple just to justify close the lock down up river.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Have to wonder if they didn’t find a couple just to justify close the lock down up river.

Strange coincidence ain’t it. Still baffling if the new dam is carp proof, why the need to close the locks as well, double insurance? I’ve never heard it mentioned in those terms, and seems both are singular events happening with no connection which leads me to believe its all conspiracy, I’d call Mr.Ventura but he’s wrapped up nowadays too Lol.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Jon, you can’t believe everything on the internets.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looks like we might have some additional company on pool 2 this summer. There was one boat out yesterday doing some sort of clam study. Jon boat with diver and dive buoy. Chris mentioned there was a electro shocking boat out earlier in the day to. Thought I heard they are still netting for Asian carp also.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.