Applications to Serve on Citizen Oversight Committees for the Game & Fish Fund

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Request for Applications for Appointment to Serve on Citizen Oversight Committees for the Game and Fish Fund

The DNR is seeking at least 10 to 12 persons to fill three-year terms on Fisheries Oversight and Wildlife Oversight committees. About half of the current members’ terms expire on December 14, 2014, and are subject to this open application. Appointees are responsible for reviewing the agency’s annual Game and Fish Fund Report and, following discussions with agency representatives, prepare a report on their findings. This is a self-nomination process. Minnesotans who would like to serve on committees that review how the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) spends Game and Fish Fund dollars are welcome to submit an online application by 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 30.

Citizen oversight of the Game and Fish Fund has been a valued service since 1994. Under the statutory authority in MN Statutes, Section 97A.055, Subdivision 4b, the DNR appoints at least ten persons each to the Fisheries Oversight Committee (FOC) and Wildlife Oversight Committee (WOC). On December 15 each year, the DNR publishes an annual Game and Fish Fund Report on expenditures from the fund. Each committee reviews the report in detail, discusses questions and any issues of concern, and prepares a report on the conclusions of its review.

The DNR seeks to appoint a mix of committee members who together comprise a range of knowledge and interests about natural resource management and how it is funded through various licenses, permits, stamps, and other funding sources. Members have a strong interest in monitoring the proper expenditure of those funds.

Five members (including the chair) of each committee will also serve on an umbrella Budgetary Oversight Committee (BOC) and the commissioner appoints a BOC Chair to make that a group of eleven. The BOC integrates the committee reports and addresses matters of common concern. Oversight work usually wraps up by June each year.

General terms

The DNR Commissioner determines all appointments, based on recommendations from division managers. Appointees may request mileage reimbursement but they are not eligible for a per diem. Appointees are not paid and must abide by requirements pertaining to potential conflicts of interest. This oversight work can require significant volunteer time and appointees are asked to make a three-year commitment.

Current and previous members must submit an application if they want to be reappointed. The DNR will consider such factors as interests, knowledge, experience, demography, and geographic distribution, to maintain a mix of participation in each committee.

Additional information
    See mndnr.gov/gamefishoversight for links to the following materials:
    Diagram of oversight structure
    Overview of Game and Fish Fund citizen oversight
    Reports since 2002

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for posting this Vern.

It gives all of our MN resident visitors a chance to see exactly where our money is being spent by the DNR and have a direct impact on it.

I checked into volunteering myself three years ago and realized there is a time commitment that I can’t meet yet. I’ll be taking a hard look at this position in 3 years.

I encourage anyone that can make the time, apply.

I’m hoping they would keep us abreast of the DNR’s spending over their three year term.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.