1897 winchester pump action shot gun

• walleyeguy000
    Rochester, MN

Looking to sell my gun, wondering if anyone has any idea what its worth? Its in fairly good condition for its age. Any insight would be helpful.. would consider trades for ice fishing gear or older kicker motor..

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

First, what gauge? Assuming it’s a 12 ga, standard grade, which are far/away the most common, then in NRA grade (modern standards) Fair, it’s $250-400 for private party retail sale.

If you can sell it at all. Unfortunately, the appreciation of/demand for early/mid century, hammer pump guns is limited.

If a sub-gauge, better condition, or higher/special grade, then it could be significantly more. “Fairly good condition for its age” can mean a lot of things, so as usual the specific condition is important. A high grade 16 ga. could be worth thousands.

I still hunt occasionally with my great grandfather’s 1897, which he purchased new in 1903.

Grouse

walleyeguy000
    Rochester, MN

Yes it is a 12 gauge. Its not in mint condition.. but i would consider it to be in good condition.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Unfortunately, historical significance doesn’t always translate to value in the modern day.

According to my grandfather, when great grandpa bought the 1897 it was a marvel. And it came at a tremendous cost of $21 in 1903. Take a look at old catalogues and see what other double guns you could have bought for the same money back then.

Grouse.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.