Youth rod and reel combo

• donkoehne
    NULL

We have just got two new step grandchildren, 14 and 12. They have very little fishing experience. I am going to take them fishing with me this summer.
    does anyone have suggestions on rod and reel combos?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

There are many great deals out there right now. I would suggest skipping the spincast reels and go straight to spinning. At that age they are big enough and old enough for full size rods. 6’-6’6” would be a good length for shore fishing around trees. I prefer 7’-7’6” but am always fighting from a boat. Stick to lighter rods so there is plenty of play with small fish. Did you have a budget in mind?

Riverrat

2nd the straight to spinning. One kid I was teaching to fish was using spincast and struggling, he picked up a spinning rod on his own and was casting on target in about 5 minutes. Pflueger president makes a good reel that can be had in a combo, they have a new model coming out so alot of the old reels are on clearance.

Dan Baker

Agreed, go straight to spinning. Harder at first, but way better in the not to distant future. I personally would recommend spooling with 10# braid. It is was easier to cast and it won’t develop memory, so if you only use the rod occasionally, you don’t have to worry about the line being junk. I like some of the 6ish foot Cabela’s rod combos. If buying seperate, it’s really hard to go wrong with a Pfluger President reel.

AK Guy

An Ugly Stik combo is under $50. You won’t have to worry if they’re hard on the gear because the rod won’t break. If they really take to fishing upgrade their gear later.

Riverrat

The shakespeare reels kinda suck. It’s no fun to be new at something and have your gear fail. The rods are pretty tough though. Fleet has the Pflueger combo for 65.00 for their brand rod. Walmart had the Fenwick rod and president reel for 100$. Some power pro, yum dingers, and worm hooks, and your set for bass for the season.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I think half the fun in getting a new rod is letting them pick it out themselves. With some direction of course.

-J.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I think half the fun in getting a new rod is letting them pick it out themselves. With some direction of course.

This ^^

MX1825

I agree with JJ. They will take a little more pride in ownership if they help with the process. JMO

Deuces

Depends on the relationship, depends on the kids, but I’d hold off on buying any rod and reels until you know it’s something they enjoy. Buying something might seem like they’re obligated to keep trying it. Step relationships can be tricky for kids, they have their things they enjoy already, with folks who were already their family. Don’t get me wrong it’s great you want to expose them to new stuff, but I think fisherman have this overly optimistic view everyone likes holding a rod for fish out on the water.

Brittman

Teens can go straight to spinning rods.

Scheels rods are really nice for the money. They caught fish at the same pace as the higher-priced rods in the boat last year.

Mid-price spinning reel – say $50 – $80, coupled with a Scheels rod at $30 – $40. Less if you catch the sales.

Have them go along and pick ’em out.

Tackle box and buying lures usually surpass rod and reel selection for many who love fishing.

Brittman

Let me add … the original poster did not necessarily say the equipment would be theirs …

In our house, the vast majority of rods and reels do not have a name associated with them. Once a kid is past their first rod and reel … the family collection is there for all. In the spring or summer, I may be using the higher-end stuff (not ultra-high price stuff that many here use, but nice) or I may use what I call the Tier 2 equipment … all well-made and with ample response for most anglers. My so-called Tier 2 equipment probably runs $100 – $150 for the combo.

I do tell any of my kids (now adults) that if they take the high-end stuff out on their own (say with friends) they are financially responsible for loss, theft, or breakage … they usually grab the tier 2 stuff which is all better equipment that I fished with in my 20s and 30s.

I think selecting the right combo for the day (type of fishing, target species, etc) is far more important than say having your own rod.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.