Your most used weight for hair jigs?

• gixxer01
    Avon, MN

So, I’ve been on a hair jig tying rampage on/off the last month or so. Using up a lot of the extra jigs I’ve got laying around. Most of which ended up being 3/8 and 1/4 oz jigs, as that’s pretty much all I use for vertical jigging the eyes around central MN.

I wanted to have a size assortment for each color pattern,something I didn’t get using spare jigs, so I went and picked up some bulk jigs in the 3/16 oz size to start off with. Thought it would be good combination pitching and vertical size. Thinking I may have messed up on the size since spring high water is coming and will probably want 3/8 tied on.

What are your guys preferred hairjig weights for vertical and pitching?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The majority of mine are 1/8 and 3/16 oz for the river. I have some up to 1/4, but that’s the biggest I own.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

The majority of mine are 1/8 and 3/16 oz for the river. I have some up to 1/4, but that’s the biggest I own.

X2 I looked in the box, the majority of jigs I tie and I use are 1/8th ounce. I tend to tie them somewhat sparse, so there’s a lot less bulk involved especially compared to plastics.

SR

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I also tie my own and most all I do are 3/32,1/8 and 3/16.

Here are a couple 3/16 I did for this weekend.

Attachments:
    1. 2016-03-01-10.12.06.jpg

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Those jigs will look great pitched from my boat Jeff!

thaddeus
    St. Cloud, MN

Really depends on current, depth, and wind. That being said, the waters I frequent I use 3/16 about 75% of the time for pitching and vertical. Nothing larger than 1/4.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Looks good Trumar!

I call this one….FATHEAD

Attachments:
    1. IMAG0369.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

1/4 for me for pitching.

Charger

Are you guys typically fishing the hair jigs without bait or are the hair jigs tied sparse to use with minnows?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

1/16oz.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Are you guys typically fishing the hair jigs without bait or are the hair jigs tied sparse to use with minnows?

Usually, there is NO need to put meat on a hair jig. A lot of guys do, but when the conditions are right for hair, there is no need to.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Ive always used minnows while vertical jigging them. I feel the fish have ample time to scope out the bait with a slow technique like this. Best to have all the bases covered in this case. Besides, I typically have a dozen minnows in the boat anyway.

A reaction type presentation like pitching probably doesn’t require the live bait.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I love pitching hair,but I dont vertical jig Bucktail jigs with meat, If I do use a hair jig and meat I will use a synthetic hair jig.

Why you ask ? It seems to me if I need to bulk up the presentation I would rather use A synthetic haig jig due to the hair reacts different and is cheaper for me to make, otherwise when I vertical jig with meat I just use a jig/meat or maybe it’s just confidence thing, But..it works for me.

JMHO Jeff

buschman
    Pool 2

I use 5/16th the most and 1/4 oz runs second. I generally use hair jigs the in high flow when the water warms up a bit.. Mid May into June on current seams. I tie on more hair than most also. I like it to fish fast that time of year and the walleyes seem to prefer this.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.