Anyone around Nekoosa area catching?

• riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I’m looking to make a trip to the Wisconsin River around Nekoosa this week but I’m having a hard time finding any kind of fishing reports. Anyone know of a baitshop, website, or other source of up to the minute bite info? Thanks.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Was up at Nekoosa last Monday and Tuesday, after a buddy cancelled out for a Red Wing trip. Anyway, we picked away at a couple dozen eyes on Monday, with 4 legals in the mix. No honey holes, just a fish or two here and there. Monday nite, they started letting a bunch of water thru the dam, and the level rose over one foot by tuesday am, with very fast current. coupled with strong winds, made fishing tough, so we trailered over to the Necedah dam, and fished the afternoon. Word has it that the water levels are dropping some, and some big girls have been caught this past weekend, for those who toughed it out in the windy, stormy weather.
    As for bait shops, there are several. theres a BP gas station on Hwy. 13, between Hwy C and Nekoosa. Another BP right in town, with a McDonalds. at the bridge on 73, has bait. The sunrise Bait shop just west of town opens early, and there’s another one who’s name escapes me.
    That stretch of river will usually produce some fish this time of year, although sometimes you have to look hard to find them. If you’ve not boated here before, be careful. There are some hazards, including shallows, and stumps. Even with normal water levels, gotta take it slow till you know where you’re going, and even then, gotta be careful(grounded my Yarcraft last spring on a sand bar, and had to swallow the pride and talk my buddy into yelling for a tow off )Good luck if you go out. Was trying to get back there too, but not gonna happen for a while.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.