Winter Pike Habitat

• Bailey Bernard

I was interested if anyone knew a specific habitat that I should look for when fishing for pike through the ice. I have heard shallow during early ice and once again during ice out and then deep once it starts getting more into late January and February. Is there any truth to this? If so what type of area do you normally fish for pike in deep water? I’ve normally just stuck to shallow water and done pretty decently throughout the year but have noticed there are times where there doesn’t seem to be any Pike in the shallows. And if deep water is worth trying could someone describe what you typically look for in a good pike spot in deep water?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Off a point, off a reef. They will roam deep basins but you will have trouble finding them.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Depending on how shallow your shallows are, try simply moving out deeper from them. Preferably, some deeper water that still holds some weeds-even a little bit of weeds will attract bait fish and pike.
    What Dutchboy said, especially if said reef or point is adjacent to those weedy shallows the pike love.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.