Winnie report October 2-5th

• Paul Berger
    Participant

Fishing was tough. Mainly fished the cut foot. Managed enough for fish fry each night. To say the least we worked hard. Rain and Strong winds out of the south. 10 to 20 foot depths. Jig and large shiners. Colors looked good. Lots of leaves still on the trees. Made grouse hunting a little difficult. Six flushes and only saw two of those birds on Sunday. A few ducks were around. Heading back up for MEA weekend for fishing, hunting, and fall cleanup.

BCNeal
    Participant
    Bloomington, MN

I was also on Winnie with 2 friends Sept 30 and Oct 1. We also found fishing poor. In the 1 1/2 days we caught 2 walleyes, 3 northern and about 6-8 perch. We tried all depths and various locations…weedlines and a couple of bars and humps.
    We gave up and fished on Cass Lake Oct 2 but found the bite there also very tough. We fished with a friend who guides on the lake who was pre-fishing for last Saturday’s tourney. Between both boats in about 5 hours not one bite despite marking 3-4 groups of fish.
    I’m sure that could front had a lot to do with the fish having lockjaw.

Charlie W
    Participant
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I was up in the rapids area that weekend as well. We did not fish any of the large lakes but several smaller favorites. Fishing was decent. Did not get many fish but all the ones we caught were quality. Mostly caught walleyes but bonus bronzies added to the fun.
    Grouse hunted for a few hours and ran into a few coveys and put up around 30 birds in two mornings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.