WI muzzleloader

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Are the bolt action muzzleloaders legal in WI? I am looking to get a good shooting muzzleloader for WI and want to make sure I get one that is legal. Any recommendations? I would prefer a stainless barrel. Thanks

abster71
    crawford county WI

Yes I had a Remington 700 years ago. Not sure if they have anything new but wouldn’t recommend pain in the ass tearing down compared to the new break open and thumbscrew breach plug removal. I have a TC pro hunter and is nice but still need a wrench to remove plug two years later they redesigned and no wrench needed.

Jimmy Jones

Are the bolt action muzzleloaders legal in WI? I am looking to get a good shooting muzzleloader for WI and want to make sure I get one that is legal. Any recommendations? I would prefer a stainless barrel. Thanks

The only requirement I saw in the online regs was a threaded breech plug, which a bolt gun would need. I did not see a minimum caliber for the projectile, something you may want to ask at a WI gun shop.

Knight makes a few bolt models, but like the Remington mentioned they may be a bit much when cleaning especially if scoped. The easiest of all muzzies to clean is a break action and if you are hunting within 100 yards or so that may be an option, but the bolt gun with a fast twist, 1:20, 1:22 will let you shoot some big chunks of lead that is serious medicine at extended ranges. I’d avoid the CVA Paramounts, as barrels seem to be specific to CVA’s power belts which are less than favorable on deer/elk sized animals, and getting aftermarket sabot/bullet combos to shoot well has been folly.

Before you buy find out the caliber restrictions, if any, then give Knight a check to see what they have. And if you are hunting in an area where the most shooting will be 100 yards or less, I’d check out a break action. CVA’s Optima is really a decent 200 yard gun when scoped. The CVA Wolf is a dandy woods gun being shorter and lighter. Just so you know, .50 caliber guns have the broadest range of bullets sizes to choose from including some super serious pistol bullets. .45 cal has a much smaller selection of fodder. Another company to look at is Woodman Arms. They make a Patriot muzzleloader, another break action, that many people have gone to and are immensely happy. If I were in the new muzzy market this is where I’d be headed and I’d be looking at a .45 in the 1:20 to 1:28 twist. Barrels are nitrided, wood stocks available and these guns seal up tight so they stay clean during shooting. They’re made to order so they tend to be pricey but well worth it. Plus this gun will handle a light smokeless load as well as the usual black powder and subs loads. 209 ignition.

Thompson Center is no longer making guns so finding one new or used may be problematic without spending dearly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.