Why would a muskie be skinny this time of year?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Caught an awesome fish today. 45 inch muskie on Mille Lacs. Question is, everything I’ve caught on Mille Lacs this year has been chunky. There is a lot of forage to go around and the skinny walleye days are gone. Pike, perch, walleye, SM bass have all been fat.

So… just wondering what factors affect musky specifically?

lindyrig79

Pic

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4148-scaled.jpeg

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Could be because it is old? Your picture makes it looks like it might have some kind of deformity in its back, so maybe that could have something to do with it? Just my guess.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Probably a super old male close to end of its lifecycle. Pretty neat.

lindyrig79

I don’t know how to ID the sex. Got a good release so that is good. Looked like a mini shark swimming away.

lindyrig79

Didn’t seem to have any abnormalities in its body, but did have a scar above one of its eyes.

Tom schmitt

Half blind fish die a slow death.
    Could be it doesn’t see well enough to eat as much as it wants.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Man that thing does look rough. My vote would also be old age.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Probably a super old male close to end of its lifecycle. Pretty neat.

This would be my guess too. Nice fish!

CaptainMusky

Id go with the old male thought as well.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

In a lake with good Forage and other fish look fine, I say its either a old male like other have said, or its sick and not feeding like it should be. Normally you can tell old fish because their Head looks large for the size of the body. That does not seem to be the case in your fish. Who knows, it could be due to a look of different things.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Probably because every time he eats, he gets this pulling feeling that leads him to a net. LOL

lindyrig79

For some reason simple old age just did not cross my mind. He did seem kinda old. It was caught on walleye gear in 27 ft of water pulling a deep tail dancer. It was a good fight due to the fact I was using 8lb test and a medium light rod. In fact near the boat he jumped out of the water with mouth wide open! But in general, he didn’t seem to have quite the spunk as other fish I’ve caught similar in size

Thanks for the replies.

toothyfish

Every pike and musky with a hunched back like that I’ve ever seen has been super skinny.

Deuces

Not sure why we are skinny shaming this creature. Perhaps it’s chosen a lifestyle that is different, maybe it has a heart condition and can’t eat those fatty whitefish in there, did we ever think of the fact it doesn’t even identify as a musky in the first place, perhaps it’s an eel, or maybe we oppreseesed and imposed our own beliefs onto it in its youth and now believes it’s a snake.

Willing to bet next year someone catches it and it has an open loop earring in its dorsal with a coexist tattoo of a human, fish and a bug.

LabDaddy1

Could be because it is old? Your picture makes it looks like it might have some kind of deformity in its back, so maybe that could have something to do with it? Just my guess.

It does look like it has some kind of slight deformity so you may be onto something.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.