When are hyfax needed on an Otter tub?

• tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I hate to be the “token guy” that answers a challenge, but I did wear out two of the smaller size sleds by extensive towing down the dirt road to the lake. But it’s important to note, in my opinion, that you’re probably not going to wear a hole out in your sled, but more than likely, along an edge of one of the ridges, which is what what happened to me. It results in a long crack that only gets worse and picks up snow, water, and ice as you tow it across the lake.

Just bought a XT Pro Lodge and the first thing that went on were hyfax. Very tough sled, but worth the added protection.

tswoboda

I have an Otter Cabin with holes worn in the bottom of the sled. The sled was bought new sometime around 2003 and has a couple thousand miles of being pulled by snowmobile or ATV. I’ve used it enough to break two hitches while being pulled behind a snowmobile. I put hyfax runners on it after noticing the holes about 10 years ago and haven’t though about it since.

Overall the shelter has been extremely durable for 15 years. The windows cracked in the first couple years and got patched with duct tape. The canvas has some thin spots and pin holes but still fully functional. Poles and seats are still like new. It doesn’t get used much anymore other than as a loaner and hauling gear.

EDIT: It’s actually so old that the shelter logo says “Otterskin” and the poles are thin round conduit. It’s pre vikings/packers colored Otter II’s

Hudson8907
    NULL

EDIT: It’s actually so old that the shelter logo says “Otterskin” and the poles are thin round conduit. It’s pre vikings/packers colored Otter II’s
    [/quote]

Sounds like an old Canvas Craft house.

tswoboda

Yeah, so Canvas Craft made the tent part of the original otter fish houses right? The sled is definitely an Otter.

The green/purple Otter II’s were the first fish houses produced by Otter Outdoors ??

Hudson8907
    NULL

I guess I don’t really know about the history of otter brand houses.

My old Otterskin Canvas Craft house is on an magnum otter sled. Doesn’t get used much anymore. Pretty much my loaner house to my cousin. It was such a great house I moved to their insulated house and magnum otter sled. That was my favorite house I’ve ever owned. It was a beast to move around however and I sold it after 8 seasons and got enough money to buy an otter cabin xt for a wash. Love my cabin, just wish I would have kept the Canvas Craft in addition.

Ran hyfax on all three. Held up great and really helped with the resale value too.

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

If they are so important to protect your investment. Why are they not included. My frabil is 8 yrs old and have no problems

Jason Guthmiller

I have an otter xt pro cabin and it barely fits in my 2016 chevy with a tonneau cover. Does anyone know if it will still fit with the hyfax on the sled?

big_g
    Isle, MN

If they are so important to protect your investment. Why are they not included. My frabil is 8 yrs old and have no problems

Because, some users, who do not abuse their sleds, do not need them. If you trailer to the lake, unload on the ice, you do not need them. If you fish once a month for 3 months, you do not need them. If you pull your house to the lake, from a block+ away down gravel or asphalt every other day… you want them. Pretty simple… again the whole “common sense” thing comes into play here. The sleds can be thick and tough…but realize, they are plastic. smirk

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I have an otter xt pro cabin and it barely fits in my 2016 chevy with a tonneau cover. Does anyone know if it will still fit with the hyfax on the sled?

The Eskimo hifax I put on my Otter were only 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick. I assume the Otter ones are similar.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Because, some users, who do not abuse their sleds, do not need them. If you trailer to the lake, unload on the ice, you do not need them. If you fish once a month for 3 months, you do not need them. If you pull your house to the lake, from a block+ away down gravel or asphalt every other day… you want them. Pretty simple… again the whole “common sense” thing comes into play here. The sleds can be thick and tough…but realize, they are plastic. smirk

I think that just about sums this thread up….but as others have said, when you pay $650+ for the ProXT line, why not spend the extra $40 and have no worries….

PmB

It would be nice to see the sleds offered w them pre installed

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I know that boat ramps with grooves in them can shred hyfax pretty quickly, so I would think they would have the same effect on the sleds? I have a Cabin, Cottage, an extra small and medium sled for other uses and I have hyfax on all four. I got the kits at the end of year on clearance at a couple of different shops. I figure it is cheap insurance and they should last me until I meet my maker.

Attachments:
    1. 20170108_133159_1512662601561_resized.jpg

2. 20161119_121943_1512662605824_resized-1.jpg

3. 20161119_121943_1512662605824_resized.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’d compare it to moccasins.
    You can buy soft soled moccasins or you can buy moccasins with a harder outer sole.
    I wear mine around for driving shoes so I choose the harder soles. If I only wore them inside the house, I might go for the soft soles.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I know that boat ramps with grooves in them can shred hyfax pretty quickly, so I would think they would have the same effect on the sleds? I have a Cabin, Cottage, an extra small and medium sled for other uses and I have hyfax on all four. I got the kits at the end of year on clearance at a couple of different shops. I figure it is cheap insurance and they should last me until I meet my maker.

I could hang out in your garage all day! How ya like that polar bird? I love my 4T

jarrod holbrook

I fish Erie when the ice gods allow it. Sometimes you can park close, other times you ride a mile or so to get to the lake. Roads, gravel, it is pretty harsh. I put 3m 4200 under the washers and kept my tub water tight. I also have OCD which make details matter to me. After fishing out of trash for years, once I finally dropped the $$$ for first class, I had no problems adding the hyfax. Otter gear is one and done if you take care of it.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>
    More or less my thoughts, that’s why I’m curious what lindyrig79 did to shred his while pulling it across a ramp.

It was one of those ramps the resorts put out to get over an ice heave. Kinda of a corregated steel, meant for traction. We drove over that and then proceeded through the parking lot up to the bar. Back to my resort and over some more gravel. Maybe not “shredded” but some significant damage and chunks. And I did tell you alcohol was involved toast so maybe there is more to the story I don’t know myself, LOL!

Okay, I thought there was more to the story. A ramp is typically reference to the access “ramp”, what you encountered was an “ice bridge” that the resorts put out over heaves or a large crack. I suppose the rest of the story explains as much or more than anything. lol

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hudson8907 wrote:</div>

Yeah, so Canvas Craft made the tent part of the original otter fish houses right? The sled is definitely an Otter.

The green/purple Otter II’s were the first fish houses produced by Otter Outdoors ??

Oh yes…I would have forgotten until mentioned here but now I do remember the early Otter fish houses were with the Canvas Craft skin. What you got there is a “collectible”… peace

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Speaking as someone that has worn through a set of hyfax in only a few years, you will never see my Otter without a set of hyfax on it. My sled would have been completely worn through if it wasn’t for the hyfax. Like someone said, cheap insurance. Granted I wore them out fishing up on Lake Winnipeg and other wind swept lakes being pulled behind an ATV and going down some ice covered gravel roads. A couple of them were completely worn thru and started wearing off the bottom of the sled. With that said, Otter tubs are by far the strongest of any out there.

Someone had a question about the holes in the sled and you don’t get any water coming in through the holes and if so its not noticeable beyond the condensation the tub already gets when its cold out.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.