Weather & Ice

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If your favorite spots have ice, you won’t have to contend with the vehicles and wheelhouses anytime soon.

If your favorite spots don’t have fishable ice, it could be a bit.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2653-1-scaled.gif

2. IMG_2653-scaled.gif

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I just drove through from Oahe through Dakota back home. Most of the skinny water had opened back up, although I did see two portables out on the drive. I would check very carefully if thinking about going out.

Me personally loving this weather. I’ll keep bird hunting and enjoying the mild weather as long as I can.

There were multiple boats out on Oahe, if you’re looking to fish open water

Dan
    Southeast MN

The very rare condition of having both PI Nuclear Plant reactors down at once would have provided an opportunity to see more ice on pool 4 than we’re ever used to seeing. Unfortunately (for those that want hard water) it’s been too warm to even form skim ice in some places.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Me personally loving this weather. I’ll keep bird hunting and enjoying the mild weather as long as I can.

There were multiple boats out on Oahe, if you’re looking to fish open water

Same. It’s weird to be pheasant hunting in December with basically no snow on the ground, especially compared to last year when I was trudging through a foot of snow already by now.

Oahe is gonna have guys chasing monster state record walleye for as long as possible. Honestly may be through all of December at this rate.

jwellsy

Anchorage Alaska just had the snowiest November on record.

In another month many people will be begging for this weather.

My best tool for dealing with ice is a brass bladed ice scraper with an extendable handle and a broom on the other end. There’s a guy in Colorado that’s been making them for several years and selling them on fleabay. They work great for trucks. I keep one in every vehicle. I’ve given several away as Christmas gifts.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

My best tool for dealing with ice is a brass bladed ice scraper with an extendable handle and a broom on the other end. There’s a guy in Colorado that’s been making them for several years and selling them on fleabay. They work great for trucks. I keep one in every vehicle. I’ve given several away as Christmas gifts.

i was told by i guy that does windshield replacecements those are money makers for them. claims they scratch the heck out of the glass??

jwellsy

I’ve been using brass scrapers over 30 years, have never scratched a window and I keep vehicles a long long time. Your mileage may vary.

I do take great care to keep the brass blades flat and free of nicks.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Not a fan of this weather at all. Who the heck wants a brown 35 degree day. It’s one thing to have a 75 degree day with a slight breeze but if what I get to look forward to is this give me 10 degrees and hard water. If you can’t tell I like winter

tim hurley

Totally agree, give me white snow or palm trees.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Alaska often receives the exact opposite winter weather that we do. When its unseasonably warm and snowless here, they are usually colder and getting snow.

El Nino is also in full effect now so although what we’re now getting is rare, it’s not uncommon when the El Nino is in place. Moisture is often funneled to the north of south of us.

Jimmy Jones

This weather is super. White and ice suck.

I’ve got some jigs and walleye plastics laid out and plan to hit the river from shore one day this week. With the reactor at Prairie Island shut down and no warm water getting to Pepin, the walleyes and sauger should be staying in tthe lake proper longer, and the lake proper is wide open. What’s not to love about that?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I expect to find 3-4 inches somewhere in SE around Christmas. Still making ice at night! Hell i just put the boat away not too long ago and been working on my smitty sled upgrades so plenty of things to do. Looks like i might need to consider putting wheels on it if we don’t get any snow by then?????

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I was on 4-8” today. Plenty of lakes to check. These cold nights will help a bunch ice wise.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jwellsy wrote:</div>

i was told by i guy that does windshield replacecements those are money makers for them. claims they scratch the heck out of the glass??

I learned the hard way brass bladed scraper scratched the hell out of my ARE topper glass years ago , never again !

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I didn’t make it far on the lakes I checked in the south metro this weekend. I knew I was not going to make it far. But had to try and scratch the itch. Be safe everyone.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s pretty nice keeping the trucks and castle gangs off the lakes. Been very quiet. Plenty of walkable ice. But nothing more then 4.5 to 5 around home that I’ve found

AK Guy

It’s pretty nice keeping the trucks and castle gangs off the lakes. Been very quiet. Plenty of walkable ice. But nothing more then 4.5 to 5 around home that I’ve found

100% agree. My favorite time to ice fish is first and last ice. It’s for the very reasons you just said.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I drove to Clear Lake to pick up my deer on Saturday and Big Lake had a large open spot with a couple thousand geese on it. Most other lakes I could see looked super sketchy like late spring ice. Was supposed to go to red with a group, but did not make it and Saturday morning the crack opened up because of the wind. It’s starting out to be a weird season so far.

JEREMY
    BP

I dug horseradish on Saturday no frost in the ground at all. The lake on my dads land we duck hunt is maybe 4 feet deep max and its 2/3rds open yet. Ducks geese and swans kept it open but its way more open now.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

this all day slow rain is crazy. where was it in june, july, aug and sept, even oct. doah chased

Brian Bezanson

You should of heard the guffas in the hardware store this afternoon when I said, ” My grass is greener now than in June.”

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Be careful if you are venturing out. Was out tonight and had my spud bar sail through 4.5” on one lake. Pretty soft.

Tlazer

Be careful if you are venturing out. Was out tonight and had my spud bar sail through 4.5” on one lake. Pretty soft.

Thanks for the warning. Never would have guessed that, will definitely keep that in mind.

tim hurley

Ice is usually like granite in December, yikes Tiazer.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Was out pheasant hunting in western MN on Saturday. Shot my 3 bird limit in about 3 hours. Green Lake in Spicer was wide open. I wouldn’t even consider going ice fishing in the southern half of the state.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Same as noted above ^

Spud bar through 2.75” of ice by basically dropping it in the marina today just poking around. It wouldn’t have held a dog. It is crazy soft in the very few places it’s not completely wide open here around Pool 4

Now we’re going to get a 2 day shot of seasonable temps, followed by another 35-40 degree spell. It’s going to be tough to get on the ice around Pool 4 before 2024 unless you snuck out on some of the early 3” stuff in backwaters that’s now gone.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Made a 2hr drive north on Friday to get in the 1st ice outing of the year. As we arrived at the landing another group of fishermen were hooking a rather small wheeled fish house to a 4 wheeler. Made me feel much better following them out on foot. My guess was there was 5-6” of ice. Fished in the rain most of the day. The fishing was OK but not great. We probably walked through 2” of water on the top of the ice on our way off. My guess is the ice took a little off on Fri. And Sat. On that lake. This was in the ottertail lake area. I’m not sure how comfortable I would have been driving a 4 wheeler pulling even a small wheeled fish house under those conditions. Maybe I’m just getting smarter or possible just more paranoid in my old age.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

If the forecast is accurate I probably wont be out again until new years day.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Bump^

Attachments:
    1. 411901533_928069198675699_2436155272367557311_n.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.