Waterfowl Opener Roll Call

• John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

We will be making our annual opener trip, hunting with a lost to cancer friends two boys. We will be hunting just south of Leech. Hoping that the birds will be around. Who else will be putting the waders on this weekend? Gook luck to everyone going and be safe! toast

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Planning on going with my five year old daughter for the 3rd year in a row but now she says she wants to go bowhunting instead. I said how bout duck hunting on Saturday and deer on Sunday. She said nope. I will talk her back into it.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Her favorite duck. Had to get it mounted for her.

Attachments:
    1. 1020190904a-scaled.jpg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Heading out near Browns Valley…like for the last 30 years! Excited and hoping the fields we hunt have some water (yeah right). Bummer I didn’t get my dog trained up this season for duck but she’ll make her first hunting trip in a few weeks on a pheasant farm.

blank
    Participant

Her favorite duck. Had to get it mounted for her.

That’s awesome! Cute kid and beautiful looking bird.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Clown do you guys get a fair amount of ducks field hunting or are you just going for honkers?

Jeremy, that’s cool that you have a little one out hunting with you.

steelslinger71
    Participant

I will be going for my 60th consecutive opener on Saturday. Had a few ducks move back in since this week’s cold front came in.Hope they hang around until this weekend. Good luck to everyone going out.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Clown do you guys get a fair amount of ducks field hunting or are you just going for honkers?

Jeremy, that’s cool that you have a little one out hunting with you.

We hunt flooded fields. It was usually hot for both ducks and geese but over the years, we shoot very little geese anymore.

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I am heading down Friday morning to set up duck camp in SW Minnesota. Going with a buddy who has a new pup and my dog who is basically in her prime entering her 5th year. Getting excited as usual!

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I’ll be in western MN. Same slough as every other year. There is very little water in it, but it’s floatable…

blank
    Participant

Bemidji area for me. Last year was the best opener we had, but the low water could be interesting.

deertracker
    Participant

I’ll be hunting the Alexandria area.
    DT

Jensen
    Participant

I’ll be in western Minnesota on the same opening day spot as the last 30 years. Water is good after the rains.

super_do
    Participant
    St Michael, MN

Up near Hackensack for us.

deertracker
    Participant

I will be going for my 60th consecutive opener on Saturday.

That’s awesome! Bet you have seen a lot of changes over the years. Good luck.
    DT

tornadochaser
    Participant

Sodak opener this weekend as well. Setting a monster honker spread in mowed CRP along a loaf pond, and 4 dozen duck & goose floaters in the water. We’ll probably end up only shooting BWT. mrgreen

I’ll be hunting MN targeting wood ducks the following weekend since I have to head to the cabin to take the dock out anyways.

steelslinger71
    Participant

Thanks DT. I have seen a lot of changes for sure. Unfortunately they all have been negative for the most part. Way, way less habitat and especially quality habitat. Both wetlands and grass. This of course has led to less ducks. Still enjoy going just have set my expectations lower. The plus side is these are definitely the good old days of goose hunting. When I was a kid in the early sixties if you shot a honker your picture just might end up in the Worthington Daily Globe.

E4mo
    Participant

I’ll be putting in windshield time tomorrow in southern MN hoping to find at least enough ducks to entertain my boys (9 and 6). It’ll be their first waterfowl opener.

It’ll be a good day.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

My dad was saying the same thing last weekend. He said when he was a kid if a flock of geese flew over they would follow them til they landed cause its the only chance you would get.

Justin Laack
    Participant
    Austin,mn

I’ll be headed to the same southeastern lake I do every opener… Seen plenty of birds on it during the teal season so have high hopes. It will be a short night with sitting by the fire talking smart till the wee hours and then nap for a couple and then head out to claim our spots.. Best weekend of the year in my book. Good luck to everyone. Pressure might not be as bad as in years past with the ammo shortage, today alone I seen multiple people’s post on the book of face asking if anyone had some shells that they could give up.

Jensen
    Participant

Good luck to all tomorrow and be safe.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.