Any body fish Wapo anymore??

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

OK,
    Lets get some reports from Wapo this year. It’s a great lake to pull some fine perch and ‘gills from. I don’t know why it’s so tight lipped, especially in the winter. Fished it many times.

Catman

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I have fished it a few times in the summer, would like to start ice fishing it. Are roads maintained at all? I do have a two person portable I can walk out. Where are the access points and how far to good fishing?

Coreyc
    La Crosse/Amery, WI

It is normally my main body of water while ice fishing, but wont be able to get up to amery for a couple weeks. The lake is pretty accessible and roads are maintained. There are 2 landings you can drive out from…Sunrise Resort on the west side and what used to be the restaurant on the north end. You can get to some good fishing from both of those sites whether you are driving or walking.

Anyone been out there yet, ice reports?? hows the bite?

bigpike

I agree on the tight lipped thing, I have fished it a few times but it is a little out of my reach to consider a regular lake, that being said I would like to read a little more info on the fishing. It sure has some nice gils…

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Just curios if the Restaurant is still open on WAPO? If not what is there now?

Coreyc
    La Crosse/Amery, WI

It burned down…nothing is there now.

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Are you serious? Wow? ANy reports on how that happened?

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Am planning to hit Wapo on Sunday. Any reports on ice conditions? Is it driveable?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Havent been up there…but im sure driving wont be an issue. Snow shouldnt be a problem either i would think

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Got a group of guys going to be over there for our spring fishing trip. Used to spend lots of time up there during the late 80’s. Going to be trying Wapo, White Ash, Round, the Turtles, Bone… Caught lots of nice fish off all of them during the ice and open water seasons.

Mark

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Cougareye and I went up there today… had a hard time finding access (the south-west launch was blocked off!). We ended up on Bear Trap… found some nice structure and dropped the AquaVu – a few gills but smaller that we wanted. Went over to a spot with quite a few shanties and set up. Again, the camera showed some gills – these were nice sized but they didn’t like what we were offering . OK guys… someone out there knows the color/bait/etc that they like… fess up?

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

As King mentioned, with the south access now closed to the public, we could not get to the south part of Wapo (without a long drive on the ice). I noticed very few shacks/cars on that part of the lake.

This was my first time ice fishing the lake, is the lack of shacks/cars on south Wapo normal or is it due to the lack of access? I did not want to drive through the channel area nor did I want to drive down from the public launch on the NW side.

Eric

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.